Beginner question....

Moderator: Mods

Marko

Beginner question....

Post by Marko »

Ok so very new to IRN's and to the site! actually don't have IRN's yet but am going to in 2 weeks...I'm getting a pair and a 3 month old...Now I was thinking of making a cage for the pair....Is it ok to make the frame out of wood are they very heavy biters?or if i do should i put the wire to the inside so its harder to reach destroy the wood lol. Also i'm limited on large space....well outside cage i have is massive but i want these guys inside....Would a 36"T x 32"Wx 36" Long cage work with a outside the cage breeding box????

Thanks,
Marco
Rolly

Cage

Post by Rolly »

It is best that you keep the wooden frame out, by fixing the welded wire
on the inside of the cage.
A 36HX32WX 36L is OK for a breeding cage for IRNs but I would
add a foot(12") to the length.
Fah

Post by Fah »

Just note, I have seen many birds die well before their time in cages that small if thats all they get their entire life as breeding stock... they just cant get the health requirements they need.

I mean, these guys are not meant to be put into effectively a cube 3 foot, by 3 foot. This might just barely work in regards to breeding indoors, but putting two, stronger flying species birds into a relatively tiny cage to breed in, is very restrictive and will guaranteedly show in their health over the years.

Simply relying on good feed for health iis a vital flaw many breeders make. Ringnecks especially need their flight space to maintain true health. I am sure breeding standards can be quite low in places as I have witnessed in my travels, however it always shows in the longevity of their life, and the health of their young.

For a year round fix, you would very much have to do at least what Rolly suggested. I can understand your pressed for space, but even though they dont require overly wide cages (3 foot for example) they do require length, you will find breeders rarely put their birds in anything shorter than 5-6 foot in length.
Marko

Post by Marko »

I have decided that i will be putting them into a cage to start that i will make 5feet long 6ft tall and 3 ft wide for the breeding pair with a out of cage nestbox still. But come winter (because this is an outdoor sectioned aviary) I'll have to bring them in to a metal 4footx 3foot tall x 2.5 foot wide cockatoo cage i have. as i dont know what cold they can handle, tho i can keep zebra finches and Canaries out there year round as i close it up in the winter and have a couple heat lamps....
Fah

Post by Fah »

Cool. In regards to temperature, my Indian's have gone through the worst we have had and it was two -1 celcius nights in a row (but that is bordering on the edge of their limits, several nights in a row can lower the birds health to the point they become vulnerable with each passing cold night). They have regularly gone through 0-1 celcius nights.

So long as you cancel out the wind factor. Wind ontop of low temperatures are what kill things.

If you can cancel wind (ie good shelter), give them one or two perches that allow the birds to snuggle, and make sure a box in present all the time in winter so when its truely cold, they can take up home inside that for the night, they should be fine.

These birds are well adjusted to high summers and cold winters... they have to survive between 1-2 lows and 36-38 highs regularly throughout the year. They are truely hardy birds so long as you give them everything they can to manage with both situations.

Fat happy birds also help alot heh.