question question question and update!

Moderator: Mods

rocketsmummy

question question question and update!

Post by rocketsmummy »

hi all my irn rocket has settled beautifully into our home.
atm though he is moulting and has little angry attacks and kills all toys in on around his cage lol .sometimes i will put my finger up for him to come on and he will pin his eyes attack a toy near by and go me. 2 seconds later his leaning off the cage for me to come get him all flufffy and full of warm fuzzy lol. so his really moody off and on all day.all his new feathers are like little white pins sticking out everywhere and his looking a tad worse for wear with that and feathers still falling out ..reminds me of denis the menece lol.
someone at work today told me the new feathers will come back brighter and that his ring should start to appear if he is in fact a male ????. but im sure i have read that this takes longer i think he is about 16 -18 weeks old now
do the ages vary for sexing?
he also has black line around lower beak and same on upper beak.

hes also started to say hello but atm it sounds like more a humming the word hello but he will get better with time.

my son has got him to lay on his back in the palm of his hand but he wont let me do it??? i am the one rocket always wants to come to but he doesnt like me to tip him on his back and this i find is a poor taste in judgement as my son has ADHD lol and i would let him throw me down like that (He is though really goood with him).
i have noticed that rocket is starting to recognise things or relate words .
he was happily climbing up his ladder the other day ignore my request for him to come to i then said "lets go get some yums"! well he high tailed down that ladder jumped on my finger and looked and leaned into the direction of the pantry where he knows the peanuts are! lol little devil oh and giving me kisses all the way over there lol. :roll: he still doesnt like to be petted although when he has a peanut i can as he wont let anything deter him from crunching that down! and he seems to be fine with it ,very occasionally when his tired you can have a "little"sratch.i brought a bird training dvd wich was helpful in some ways but one direction for getting your birdt to like petting(as much as your bird wil allow) it shows to have him on perch and use stick either side gentley stroking deflecting bites with opposite stick your petting him with (if that makes sense) but i find rocket just flys of his perch when hes had enough of thee prodding!lol oh well
is there another way>?

my dog is very old and know she is not allowed to bite or hurt him in anyway so when he comes near her she will look other way and shake (if she looks away it showing me she is not going to bite and will resist temptation to now matter what he does! she doent like to get in trouble) but she is also scared of him now ,as he plods along the floor like a big bull dog and bites her ears! does he know shes scared of him as it seems a classic case of bulling he walks over to her like his the hulk!
pinkdevil

Post by pinkdevil »

Well done on your little Rocket :)

If he is only 16-18 weeks old, it is way to early for him to even think about getting his ring if he is a boy. That wont show till he is at least 12 months old. DNA or sergical sexing is the only definate way to know for sure at this stage.

I have found that ringies do have the "Dr Heckle & Mr Hyde" personalities at the blink of an eye. But when they are cuddley that sure makes up for it :)

As each bird has their own personality, I have found that my Lutino ringie doesn't like being patted but is quite happy to sit on my hand/arm/finger/shoulder or whatever she wants to sit on lol BUT try and pat her more than once and watch out!!! I handraised her the same way as I handraised my other ones and they turned out much cuddlier.

Once again congrats on your new member :)

:)
rocketsmummy

Post by rocketsmummy »

thanks pinkdevil :D
another i was wanting to ask and forgot is sometimes he opens his beak and looks like his gonna spew is this normal ? also he makes a grinding noise with his beak whilst pushing his tounge forward ,usually does this when he is tired what is it does any one know? :shock: :D
Kristen

Post by Kristen »

They grind their beaks before they go to sleep--that's good!