wings clipped

Moderator: Mods

lauramelvin

wings clipped

Post by lauramelvin »

I just went and had Jade's wings clipped and am feeling guilty. He took an awful lot off and she keeps falling. I had to do it, she was flying into the ceiling and was so fast I was afraid she might escape out the door and never see her again. Will she adjust and be able to fly some? I keep telling myself I did it for her own safety but am I just trying to keep from feeling guilty? When I got Joe he had already had his wings trimmed so I didn't have to go through this. I just want happy healthy birds. Did any one else go through this?
Laura
Mikaela

Post by Mikaela »

Hey Hun:

India, my 10 week old IRN just had her wings clipped Wednesday. She had massive take off and flight, enough to easily break her neck if I didnt clip soon. This was her second clipping. She can barely flutter now, she is safer. You protected her. You did the right thing. She needs to be more dependant on you for easier handling and training too. You did the right thing hun. Imagine the guilt had you NOT done the right thing and you lost your baby OR worse, she flew into a window and broke her neck. You did it because you love her and she couldnt care less. Her clumsiness will get better really soon. I promise. Let me know if I can help you. India was very clumsy when she was first clipped but is learning she just has to flap a little harder to get to where she wants to be. AND, being a mean hen by nature, this has settled her. She knows now how much she needs me. She wants me to be her friend almost as bad as I want her to be mine. It is building alot of trust in a short amount of time. When she get somewhere she doesnt want to be (kitchen floor) she squacks for me to come let her "step up' to get back to me.
lauramelvin

Post by lauramelvin »

Thank you. Jade is getting around a little better now, not falling as much. And I don't have to chase her around the house worring that she is going to get hurt anymore. Next time she gets clipped I want to leave enough wing so she can at least fly a little like Joe does. He can fly a couple of feet to her cage or can land safely to the floor. She just drops like a rock. Thank you for the reply, I do feel better and you are so right!
Laura
Mikaela

Post by Mikaela »

You're welcome. It does make me feel bad to see my baby having to adjust to new wings but I just kept telling myself "it is to keep her safe".

She will be flying again soon. They have to be clipped about every 6 months.
~ Mikaela Sky