What is going on with my birds?!

Moderator: Mods

chobah

What is going on with my birds?!

Post by chobah »

So, I am pretty new to the game as far as breeding ring necks goes. I have a pair of birds, male is 5 years old, and the female is 10. The male came from a pet situation, and the female came from a breeder, although she was never allowed to breed. She has laid in the past for her previous owner. I got her about 6 months ago, and I've had my male for a year. for the past 3 months they have been displaying back and forth constantly, she even goes as far as to gather nesting materials for her box. Nothing has happened beyond that. He feeds her, she does her odd peeping/clucking noise with her eyes pinned and her head back, he dances like a fool and follows her around like a drunk at the bar saying "hello baby" over and over. Nothing beyond that has happened. He wants to make sweet sweet birdie love, and she seems to as well. I live in massachusetts so I don't know when their season is around here. I just feel bad for Louis as he seems pretty frustrated about not getting down to business. I am not trying to become a breeder or anything, just would love to see some little green babies bopping around the house. please let me know if you have any advise. thanks
Donna

Post by Donna »

Your birds are demonstrating mating behaviors.

What you need to do if your going to let them have babies is read and do research on breeding Ringnecks, incubation, hatching, brooding, handfeeding. Chances may be that your breeding pair may not know what to do with the clutch and either eat the eggs or mutilate the chicks. You have to know these things BEFORE you have chicks. Do not go into this blindfolded it's not as easy as you may think.

Donna
In Loving Memory
of one special husband and one special bird.

I miss you both