soak seed

Moderator: Mods

skibum

soak seed

Post by skibum »

I have never fed this before but when Ziggy arrived he came with a big bag of normal seed and a big bag of soak seed with instructions to give him fresh soak seed every day, however.... someone told me it could be very toxic if not thoroughly rinsed so rather than risk it I stopped feeding it.
Doesn't seem to worry Ziggy as he eats anything and everything anyway so will likely be getting all the nutrients that he needs. Out of his normal parrot mix he only really eats the sunflower seeds that I can see anyway.
On the soak seed thing - have you heard of this before?
Thanks
Melika

Post by Melika »

Is it seed, or beans? O.o

I'm not sure how similar this is, but you can sprout the seeds if you feel it's safer. Here's some help to keep it safe (I believe the person was thinking about the bacteria that can grow on seeds when soaked).

http://www.landofvos.com/articles/sprouts.html

Sprouts are touted as the 'ultimate' food, because they are full of good enzymes. I'm trying garbanzo sprouts for now, and we'll see how it goes. :D
I've been called 'birdbrained' before, but somehow I don't think this is what they meant. say:hah-nay
skibum

Post by skibum »

Awesome, thanks!
It just looks a bit like parrot mix really. I left some a bit long the other day and it all went awry. Man did it stink!!
I am on tank water (harvest rainwater from roof) so might pay to boil it too perhaps - esp if being left for up to 48 hrs.
just looked at it again - not a lot like parrot mix - loads of different bits.
Will try to get it to sprout too!!
Thanks heaps.
Stu
Melika

Post by Melika »

Yeah, stink is baaad.

It gets all mouldy. Ew.

So I'm wracking my brain, trying to think of something more, lol.

If it's just seeds, I don't think you need to boil it.

Definitely throw it out if it stinks.

If it's seeds and beans, it can be sprouted. But if there are veggie bits in there, those won't sprout and will spoil the sprout mix. So remove them if you try to sprout.

Um... *brain dies*

Sorry. :?
I've been called 'birdbrained' before, but somehow I don't think this is what they meant. say:hah-nay
skibum

Post by skibum »

ah right, excellent

am just bunging the smelly colander through the dishwasher (pooooh!!)

then have a crack at this properly

Ta
nil

Post by nil »

i have seen that many use a disifectant in the water of rinse seeds, so the seeds are safe.
i dont use soak seeds, because it needs enougt time but soak seeds are a very useful food.
Some day i ll try with it.
Lene

Post by Lene »

Some people put a little apple cider vinegar in the water to prevent mould.

I give my birds sprouted seeds every second day. They love it. I have never had any problems with them going off. But if they do, don't use them.

Your packet of seeds might be out of date, or haven't been stored properly. Always put them in an airtight container.

Rinse the seeds well every 8-12 hours. Also make sure your bowls and strainer are spotlessly clean.
Cheers

Lene