Billy won't come out of his cage???

Moderator: Mods

Lisa

Billy won't come out of his cage???

Post by Lisa »

I heard the most delightful sound yesterday when Billy started making more sound and even nattering to himself, I hope to have him talking soon. I decided to be adventurous today and leave the cage open so he could come out. He has come quite close to the open door a few times, but will not come out. I put my hand in the cage with some food and he kept climbing over my hand occassionally having a nibble at the food. He even had a little love nibble on my fingers - amazingly it didn't hurt and he didn't draw blood. I am incredibly lucky to have such a gentle bird that has previously never been handled. I have tried to gently take him out when he is on my hand and I have tried enticing him with food but I think he enjoys running around in his cage too much.
Any suggestions on how to get him out of the cage would be appreciated.
katraz

Post by katraz »

he might just need time to get use to his surroundings a bit... see if you can get him on a stick inside his cage and slowly bring him out ... when i first got my irn she took a few weeks before she came out out of the cage, now when ever i open the door she comes flying out.
IMR4N

Post by IMR4N »

if you leave his food and water on the outside of the cage and leave him to his own devices then he will come out on his own when he gets hungry or you could fully gain his trust by spending more time with him.

i think you shud also consider geting him clipped to stop him from hurting him self to much when he is out of the cage because they are very curious and mischiefus birds and you wouldent want him to get out of an open window either.

i have a you gray IRN which at the moment is very bitey but he is only a couple of months old. and he willingly comes out of the cage and sits on the top when left completely alone.
Lisa

Post by Lisa »

Thanks I will try those things. He is getting better, at least he is actually eating his seed now and will happily eat it in front of us and pick up fruit as well.
I took him to the vet clinic to get his wing/s clipped and there were a few different opinions on whether to clip one wing or two. The nurse and vet that did it for me would only clip one wing, but I took him out of the cage the other day and he could still fly around quite well.
Could I have some advice please on how many wings to clip, because they told me they did one to unbalance him but he's fine.
Thanks
:)
IMR4N

Post by IMR4N »

it is usualy the first 5 or 6 wing feathers
Mikaela

Post by Mikaela »

I know Billy loves you and wants to be with you. You love and spend huge amounts of time with him or you wouldnt be here. See it like this, the boy loves his cage and that's a good thing!

I have an 8 wk old IRN and she flies the coop to be with me but she is just a little needy baby. Your Billy is probably older and not so needy. Maybe he knows the cage is his safe place and things staying in there makes him a good boy. IRN's are smarter than me... this is going to be a long 30 years hehe.