PELLETS?

Moderator: Mods

BrightenStar

PELLETS?

Post by BrightenStar »

So, there's this bird store near my house that is owned by an avian vet. She said that my irn should eat pellets and only have seeds for treats. So I bought some pellets that she recomended but my baby won't eat them. So I got a different kind that she was fed at the pet store where I bougnt her. She won't eat those either.

I tried soking them in water and feeding her by hand but she still won't eat them. I also tried removing most of her seed to try and make her hungry so she'll start eating them but she still won't.

Anyone have ideas?
kyria
Site Admin
Location: Live in Australia - Have a home in Florida - Citizenship in Heaven

Post by kyria »

Once birds are on seeds it is a very hard transition back to pellet.

I personally don't place much importance on a pellet diet. I feed fresh foods twice a day and they get a serve of seed twice a week. I believe that a good diet of fresh foods is the most important thing, they cannot live without it, and it is natural for them to hull seed, so mine get a good quality seed not pelletas secondary food.

Seems that America is more into the pellet diet.
Angie
---------
Hatred stirs up strife, But love covers all sins. {Pro 10:12}
-----------
God Bless

Lauren
Site Admin

Post by Lauren »

You'll find everyone has a different opinion on seed vs pellets. Its really up to you. My 7 year old has been on seed (no sunflower) for 6 years of his life. I made the change last year just to see how he would go. I'm thinking of getting seed when we run out of pellets here. Its less expensive and its natural for them. In my opinion both pellets and seed both have pros and cons.
"Jibby aka Gilbert" Indian Ringneck 13 years "Charlie" Rex Rabbit 1 year
Lauren
Site Admin

Post by Lauren »

It might take a while for she gets used to them. Have you tried only offering pellets during the day and seed at dinner time? You can also bake things with them so she gets used to the taste. I do this with the left over crumbs left in the bowl. Alot of people mix the seed and pellets together aswel but I'm not a fan of this as they will only touch the seed and leave the 'unwanted' foods behind.
"Jibby aka Gilbert" Indian Ringneck 13 years "Charlie" Rex Rabbit 1 year