Tsunami

Hang out, kick back, relax and chat in "The IRN Lounge". Excellent place for general conversation, idle chat and off topic threads. Anything goes!!!

Moderator: Mods

CatsChair

Tsunami

Post by CatsChair »

Okay, so this is probably a dumb question, but why did it take so long to get help to the Solomon Islands? We got a tsunami warning (in Los Angeles) around noon yesterday, but even late last night, there was nobody there. Aren't they only about 1500 miles from Aus? Couldn't seaplanes land if the airport was washed out? Of course, we Americans have Louisiana to answer for....but this really is a question not a condemnation in any way.
MCS
kyria
Site Admin
Location: Live in Australia - Have a home in Florida - Citizenship in Heaven

Post by kyria »

I think we were taken by surprise with this event and were so busy trying to evacuate our areas.

Apparently if this was a full on tsunami that his our coast there is no way we would have evacuated residents in time, a good warning for a future event if the fault line between here and NewZealand shifts, our east coast is in big poo poo's.

Really I have no idea why response time was so slow.
Angie
---------
Hatred stirs up strife, But love covers all sins. {Pro 10:12}
-----------
God Bless

Lauren
Site Admin

Post by Lauren »

I just dont know why either. We can send the defence force and police to the Solomons or Fiji quickly when there is a coo or something but can't respond to a tsunami? We can send our soldiers to Iraq but not to a natural disaster?

The asian tsunami was shocking and we cant be nieve anymore. This was bound to happen sooner or later. Australia seems to think we are bulletproof. But there is faultlines right around us.

We had warnings on the east coast aswell. People in QLD fled to higher ground. But the warning was cancelled soon after because it just wasnt big enough to wipe us out.

I was watching a weather scientist (dont know what they are called) on the tv last night and he was saying if an earthquake did happen out in the pacific around the faultlines it would take an hour or 2 for a wave to reach us. Dont know if this is true.

But one day, the big one will come and we wont be prepared for it. Not to say our warnings wernt affective, I think they were quick here, but more like we can do more. Just like we can do more to protect our country from other threats eg. terrorism.

I think after your hurricane katrina we were all a bit confused as to why those poor people were just left to suffer for a long time after.
"Jibby aka Gilbert" Indian Ringneck 13 years "Charlie" Rex Rabbit 1 year
CatsChair

Post by CatsChair »

Most of us were furious rather than confused; the only silver lining is how many indicviduals stepped up. Sorta like 9-11, you do get to see that most folks are good and many are unexpected heroes.

If it is any comfort, we had the tsunami warning on the computer for almost 12 hr in California (not that we could evacuate too much faster, though we get lots of practice with fires and earthquakes)

Scary world we live in! Enjoy every moment.......
MCS