IRP in an avairy?

Moderator: Mods

Elizabeth

IRP in an avairy?

Post by Elizabeth »

Okay, I'm Australian and we keep our pet birds in avairies so you don't have to say It's wrong, as in America you guys rather keep your birds in a cage in the living room! (so many people on a board like this critisised me when in Aus we've been doin' it for centuries! I would be bringing my bird in for training and love and everything you guys do with yours.

Now that you know that, I have a question:

DO RINGNECKS LOVE TO CHEW, WILL THEY CHEW THROUGH SMALL GAUGE AVAIRY WIRE?

Even if you don't know about avairies, do you know if they will chew through a piece of wire - lets say, um, like a wire tie or telephone line? As then i'd know whether i should put heavy gauge wire on the avairy instead. As you know some parrots will chew out of enclosures/cages.

Thanks
fiona

Post by fiona »

my fiona LOVES to chew! She will chew up huge blocks of wood for macaws. That being said, her bars on her cage are not super strong. Could she break them? Probably, but she hasn't tried so far. So, I guess what I'm saying is they can be pretty good chewers. Hope that helps

Why do people say aviaries are bad?
xo Missi

Post by xo Missi »

Okay, people need to get their stuff straight. Aviaries are for many birds and cages are only good for one bird. It's terrible that people criticized you for that. Unless they think you should only keep IRN with other IRN and not other bird species. Then I see their point.

For an IRN I wouldn't use wire thinner than chicken wire as they climb on the wire a lot and may cut their feet if you use very thin wire. Just my suggestion :wink:
Elizabeth

Post by Elizabeth »

Wow, you guys are so much friendlier than another forum i went to, they practically verbally bashed me for having an avairy. i feel welcome here :lol:

The wire, which i want to focus on, is avairy wire but thicker than the chicken wire - and much safer. It is nice, but not as thick as the wiring on a common budgie cage, which i thought that if a Ringneck is bigger than a budgie, it may as well bite out of the wire.

I'll try and if he bites out i will put him in a parrot cage, but the avairy is new so i'd rather use it than sell it!

I agree about having a single parrot in an avairy as being mean, but he will be trained in the house and be our "baby" nonetheless, that is just his nightime home so he can fly, excersise. I'd never leave him alone, if i was i'd get a pair of Indy's. Id love a pair but i'd rather a single one for taming (they get jealous etc i think).
Bird crazy

Jeremy are you out there

Post by Bird crazy »

Jeremy is our expert breeder and he lives in Australia I think. So he would be able to answer your question about what would be the safest and could it chew the wire you're referring to. If he dosen't pick up this thread try PM him.
I would love to have an outdoor aviary. I live in SW Fla and so it would be possible but I live in a community where the neighbors would evict us and make us sell. I'd love to have one to put my birds in on nice days. Oh well everyone has their opinion. You have no need to feel bad.
Sue
Rowdy Vos eclectus, Dolly Cockatiel
Nila Blue IRN, Priya Grey IRN, and Bigotes the cat
CatsChair

Post by CatsChair »

I would love an outside aviary. Of course with five kinds of birds, I would have to have cages all over the yard. The windows are open often enough and my birds are loud enough that I don't think the neighbors would know the difference (except the kids would be in my back yard instead of waiting at the front door to visit the crazy bird lady and all her animals)
MCS
Lauren
Site Admin

Post by Lauren »

Hey Elizabeth, I'm an aussie and I keep my IRN's in cages in the living room. I would LOVE to one day have a avary outside with breeding birds. But I live in a 3rd story unit at the moment. There is nothing wrong with keeping pet birds in avaries outside. I think the fresh air and 'natural' sounds are good for them. :D I'm dreaming of avaries. :roll:
Ringnecks do love to chew and destroy! If they've got plenty of toys and 'stuff' to chew on in the avary they shouldnt have to try the wire.
Mikaela

Post by Mikaela »

No matter what we hear or see, we try so very hard not to judge. We succeed at being knowledgeable and attentive, no mean stuff on this board.

Not now, not ever. 8)

Before I put up with. it I'll put them out. No time for pettiness here! This is a family and all are welcome to be a part of.

But its either youre in it or you arent... meaning... you 'get' one of us, you get us all. Vice versa. Old members know what I mean. They have seen my stand against MANY yet I never even had to be bothered by them.

My family here handled it so I didnt have too.

Tight crew. Growing everyday! :D
~ Mikaela Sky

Elizabeth

Post by Elizabeth »

Thanks guys.

I'm still waiting for the RSPCA to give me advice about the wire.

I went to the Animal Tuckerbox on the weekend and me and my bestie and a look at the Ringnecks. This one yellow female was so adorable and even came over to stare at us, she put her head to the side to listen to what we were saying.

So now i'm hooked on them.