Babies with Disabilities:

Moderator: Mods

Mikaela

Babies with Disabilities:

Post by Mikaela »

In this thread we will discuss our babies that have disabilities to some degree. At this time, there are four of us with disabled babies. We need to show the world that a baby with disabilities is still a wonderful baby. Usually, even moreso, because they appreciate you more.

Please tell us about your birds, why they are disabled, what made them disabled, what problems it is having that we may have an answer too. Tell us any and everything you can about your bird so that others can read and learn.

This post applies to those of us that know or have known babies too. This thread IS NOT just for us that have sick babies. Its for everyone to pitch in to help these little guys and their owners out.

This is also a place to share stories of inspiration concerning birds that overcome their hard-knock life and rise above... as my Punkin does.
Dani03

Post by Dani03 »

Excellent idea Mik.

Well Aggie is missing a rear toe tip...and her right wing does not open completely, thus denying my macaw flight.

I think when she was younger something happened, either she got rough handled I dunno but her wing will not stretch completely out. She does not flutter if she falls she hits the gound like a hot stone. It is so sad to see her like this, not being able to do the one thing birds are meant to do...FLY. But, however it does allow me leway with her when I take her outdoors. I would rather, though, to have to force her into a flightsuit or harness and have her be able to fly.

With the toe missing, she had been climbing around ontop of a greenwing macaw cage (some dumbass let her do it grrrr) and he got her rear toe and cleanly snipped it off. She gets around just fine but I'd like to smack whoever let her get into that position in the first pace...

Anyway thats my poor Aggie girl...

Dani
Cindy

Missing Toes

Post by Cindy »

My Mrs. B has a missing toe in front...We have no idea how it got that way as she is a rescue, however, it does not effect her in anyway climbing...She hangs up side down from plastic chains hung in her cage...Now her wings are another matter....She can spread them and flap just fine...but who ever cut her wings at one time, did so VERY short and she falls like a rock...We are trying to let them grow out to give them a proper trim. However, so far, only the first 3 on each side have grown out and those are a mess....She did not have a good diet at all before coming to live with us. Several feathers have just splintered because the shafts are so thin and then when she trys to pull them out they just shred like string.....When she first came to us she had a duck butt. Now with good food she has the most beautiful deep turquoise and green tail...when turned just right in the light the edges glow a black light green...We hope that when the wing feathers molt that her new ones will look just as nice...Right now we have to pad the area under and around her cage...When she excerises her wings, she sometimes looses her grip and flys(more like falls) off the top of the cage....That sound of a bird HITTING the floor is sicking and dangerous, so we pad the floor.
Cindy M. and the Flock of 8
Dani03

Re: Missing Toes

Post by Dani03 »

Cindy wrote:That sound of a bird HITTING the floor is sicking and dangerous, so we pad the floor.

Isn't it? It is a terrible thing to hear and when your bird can't and doesn't know how to fly it makes it worse. Knowing that Aggie will never fly is sad...I would give anything to have her regain that back. To fly is to be a bird.

Dani
kimtoo

Post by kimtoo »

Skye is missing the two front toes on her left foot. I was told she was left in a cage with other birds and they bit her toes off. The nails are gone and the toes are atrophied and unusable. When she walks she actually walks on her "ankle", not on her foot. She trie to use one back toe for a front toe so she can grip things like a perch. She does manage to climb pretty well.

She does not seem to be able to hold food in that foot or stand on it (one legged) so she has to have small food bits or soft things that she can eat without having to hold it. I have also replaced her perches with much larger diameter percehes. She can stand ON the perches, not have to grip them. I just recently put one of the platforms you can buy in her cage...to make it more solid and soft I wove the plaited palm leaf shredder strips through the bars of the platform. She has not used it yet. I hope she will. :D
iaowings

Post by iaowings »

this is Doots my tiel that was hatched without the portion of his wings that contain the flight feathers, also I think doots is missing a little in the mental department he is not stupid but his balance and coordination are a little off not by much but it is noticable. He is a little love bug and despite the fact that he cant fly with his stubs, he gets on very well with the other fids. My irn George has taken a liking to him and they are buddies. When I give fresh veggies I also put pellet and seeds on the plate, George makes sure that Doots can get food, he chases the others away until Doots has had something to eat its really sweet the way he takes care of his buddy.

I know what you all mean about the weird flutter and then thud sound, makes me cringe, so I padded the area around the cage and play area. I don’t take Doots over hard surfaces unless I have both hands free to hold him so he won’t fall. Sometimes when I am holding him he will flap his stubs vigorously and I will run him around for a little bit. holding him in front of me the faster he flaps the faster I go when he leans up I move him up and when he leans down I move him down it’s the closest he will ever get to flying but he seams to like it.
CricketsMum

Crash ...

Post by CricketsMum »

We were gifted a mature IRN that we named Crash. He was banded by his previous owners too tightly, and his foot fell off (poor bub). Anyway, my local breeder took him in, but he was picked on by all the mating pairs in the aviary, so she asked me to take him in. He's a gorgeous bird, though he's not tame, and after a quarantine period, we put him in the aviary with Cricket.

Wow, she established quick smart that she's the boss of that aviary let me tell you :twisted: He's taken residence toward the back and she reigns supremely at the front.

Now.... I would love to attempt to tame him, however he's in such a large space, he won't let me come near him (naturally). So what I've been doing is spending time in the aviary, petting Cricket, feeding her etc. At first he kept flying towards me and veering away at the last second, but I very (bravely) kept still, and ignored him. I've been doing this for a few days now, and he's becoming used to me. I'll persavere with this method, unless you wise lot can recommend anything more effective.

So there you have it, another wonder in the disability post. 8)
Mikaela

Post by Mikaela »

Thank you all so much for your contribution to this thread. :wink:
~ Mikaela Sky

Mazziemom

Post by Mazziemom »

Errr, are you positive about that teil being hatched without that part of the wing? That sure looks like a pinon scar to me. While pinon isnt common in the US anymore, I don't know about other countries. And even as uncommon as it is here, it still happens. We recently got in an Amazon that some moron had pinoned at home, and are still treating his healing wing. We also have a macaw who was pinoned in the past, well healed at this point, but its there.

On the macaw who's wing wont open... have the tendon examined. My personal companion blue and gold has a short tendon in one wing, and cannot open it comfortably. He rarely opens it, unless he's trying to save his fanny from a fall, and then not all the way. I still keep him clipped because he can open it ... and I wont take any chances.

Disabled birds... too many to count around here lately. A macaw missing her eye. A blue and gold with crippled feet and legs. An eclectus with severe splay. A conure who's leg band (was not a real band, some days I hate people) cut so deeply into her leg that shes now club footed and has very little leg to support the foot. Another macaw who was bitten in the face by another bird...

Every one is special and amazing to me. Some will move on to new homes when ready, a few are too high needs to ever do so.

He's beautiful, even with his poor feet.

Athena
alana8819

Post by alana8819 »

your bird is beautiful. what does pinoned mean? my heart goes out to all your birds.
Klaatu

Post by Klaatu »

8) Yes what does it mean? Is it anything like a feather lump in a canary? Thats when a feather is too soft to pierce the skin and becomes ingrown.
Gort, Klaatu Barada Nikto
swanwillow

Post by swanwillow »

to put it bluntly, they chopped off the last half if his wing that contains the flight feathers so that he can't fly anymore.

from WIKI

Pinioning is the act of surgically removing the pinion joint, the joint of a bird's wing farthest from the body, to prevent flight. The bones removed when pinioning a bird are akin to removing a person's hand just beyond the wrist (through the metacarpals). Like declawing, the morality of modifying an animal to suit human needs is debated.

if you do some searches on google, its easy to find pictures of how to do it to ducks, which it seems pretty common still to do it to 12 day old chicks... :evil:

I have a female IRN, missing three toes altogether. I think she MAY be blind in one eye, and her male overpreens one side of the back of her head.
this is Mustard.
Klaatu

Post by Klaatu »

:shock: OMG! How barbaric! I've never heard of such a thing! How Boxing Helena!
swanwillow

Post by swanwillow »

oh, I forgot to post this :lol:
Klaatu

Post by Klaatu »

:shock: I have to admit I , being a gourmet, have contributed to the questionable practices of what some see as animal cruelty. I love pate fois goix. And I must admit my favorite meat is Veal. I also have nothing against fur as long as it is ranch raised and not wild caught. I have researched these practices and even though in the past they were extreemely cruel, modern practices have been replaced with the more cruel ones and I find a bit of manipulation of nature acceptable to a point. I buy free range when ever I can afford it. Geese used to have their feet nailed to the floor and then a machine forced down their throats to pump them full of food to fatten up the liver. Calves used to be locked in tiny cells with no sun and no room to move to produce veal. These practices have been eliminated or changed to the point I really can't object to consuming them. As far as fur goes anti fur people often claim that the animals are similarly raised in horrific conditions. Quite the opposite is true. An animal raised in poor conditions would not bring another animal into this world. The first thing to go would be the desire to procreate. Fur breeders now have as many color mutations as bird breeders do and the and they breeding stock costs thousands of dollars per animal. What person in their right mind would pay $15,000 for a silver fox stud and then deliberately put it into a situation or living condition that would make the animal neurotic? Doesn't make good business sence. My father used to sell air conditioners to chinchilla farmers.
Melissa

Post by Melissa »

just wanted to say that some of things talked about regarding animal cruelty made my blood boil....you all are wonderful for giving loving homes to these birds with a tough past!
Kristen

Post by Kristen »

One of my birdies, Donovan was in a breeding cage before I got him and got one of his toes bitten off (I think he was too tame). I think the missing toe bothers me more than it bothers him. <G>
RitaKelly

Post by RitaKelly »

This looks like the perfect thread for my question! One of the ringnecks I have met is an albino youngster, 8 or so months old. This bird is clearly developmentally disabled. It appears fine physically as far as having all toes, wings able to flex normally, etc. But its coordination and balance are severely lacking. It seems to recognize me after just a few brief sessions (a friend showed me some "physical therapy" exercises to try to help it) and will happily climb onto my hand to leave its cage. It wants to be snuggly and climb my shirt but cannot really grip, to the point where it would fall like a lead balloon to the floor if I didn't help it. Unfortunately I am familiar with the "thud" some of you mentioned. It uses its wings like arms and is very dependent on its beak, even more than the other birds I help care for.

One day when I was putting it back in its cage it tipped its body forward before moving its feet onto the perch and just flopped to the floor of the cage. It is not in a tall cage, which is good because it falls a LOT, with or withough humans involved. It often seems confused about just how to maneuver itself - for example, I can see it thinking really hard about just how to get on my hand from a perch, then it will carefully test my hand with its beak, find a spot to hold on, and then move its feet. Sometimes it will climb on without beak help but not usually. One day recently it was found hanging from the top of its cage looking bewildered. My friend who found it gave it some time but he said eventually he realized the bird needed help to right itself without its customary crash.

Others who have known the bird longer than I have say it has been like this all along, at least since it came from the breeder. I don't know who the breeder is or I'd ask him/her about the bird. Its diet consists mainly of Zupreem pellets with some bird treats and occasional fruits and veggies, though not a huge amount of those. Its body condition is good, it eats well, and shows no sign of illness. Its feathers are not perfect but are really quite nice considering how often they are clumsily banged into things. Just looking at it sitting on a perch, most people would never think anything was amiss. I need to get a really good look at its eyes as I'm not sure they're red, so maybe it's not a true albino? Its feet are pink and its feathers are white, with the exception of a hint of tan on the wings. It dilates and constricts its pupils way more frequently than any of the other birds, and the pupils don't necessarily seem to reflect anything else in the bird's mood or demeanor. Sometimes it half-closes one or both eyes for a very reptilian look - do birds have a third eyelid?

The only explanation I've been given is that albinos are "freaks of nature" and albinism often comes with other issues. I'm not sure that makes a lot of sense to me, as my reading thus far has taught me that every color except the green is a mutation humans have selectively bred for. Besides that, I know lots of albino mice, rats, rabbits, horses, humans, etc. that are just fine thankyouverymuch! I can see perhaps a less-than-wonderful breeder breeding only for color mutation and not keeping enough genetic diversity, so than in addition to being white, this poor critter also got some fun inbred traits that are not so pretty.

Sorry this turned out to be so long - as a newbie to IRNs I wanted to post as much info as possible in hopes that those of you with more experience could help me help this bird! Thanks!
Melika

Post by Melika »

Unfortulately, there are many breeders out there who don't pay attention to their inbreeding. Many purposefully breed parents to their children just to get the colour they want in the youngsters.

Albinism can come with problems. In albino dogs or dogs with an abnormal prevelence of white we see quite a bit of deafness (has to do with lack of pigment in the inner ear). It isn't the rule, but it happens. Generally, the problems are caused by inbreeding for that albino or white (depending on the animal) gene- not the mutation itself (though fully albino birds sometimes have brittle feathers and don't like to fly). Many forms of albinism are accompanied by eye deformities, though I don't know if these occur in parrots as they do in mammals.

I hope the physical therapy helps.

There are also wire platforms for birds with perching trouble.

I'm sorry I cannot help more. This is all I can think of.
I've been called 'birdbrained' before, but somehow I don't think this is what they meant. say:hah-nay
RitaKelly

Post by RitaKelly »

Thanks for the information! The platforms are not a bad idea, and the bird seems to do well on its thick rope perch too. I'll keep working with it and gathering information, and hope for the best!
ryelle

Post by ryelle »

just reading your post about the bird being disorientated and having abnormal eye behaviour Ritakelly, could the bird be slightly deaf or even blind from possible interbreeding?
RitaKelly

Post by RitaKelly »

Not a bad thought Ryelle. I will look for signs but i know she's not totally blind or deaf. Actually I think her hearing is pretty good since she chirps a hello when she hears me nearby even if she can't see me, and she doesn't say hi to everyone. I do think the basis of the problem is inbreeding and she's just always going to be "special," but she's very lovable!
ryelle

Post by ryelle »

a lot of disabled animals are lovely, just nobody ever gives them a chance grrrr
Darlene

Post by Darlene »

:) Hello, Well I think this is a good place to post replies to other people who have a ( special needs ) or disabled parrot. I am Darlene. My story of our Luna, our IRN, is listed in miscellaneous comments. I can just say that our baby has turned out to be so very special to us. And broken the mold for what they say is normal for IRNs. With our Luna, we spare no expense or time in the care and love for Luna to look after her health, and happiness. Just becouse she doesn't walk, doesn't keep her from being an absolute joy in our life. Our disabled babies return all the time we spend with them by loveing us back, makeing us smile and teaching us that even if they are not perfect, if they are broken or disabled in some way, they have the courage to make the best of there lives and adjust. We can learn from them. They are even more preciouse and ( God Bless Them All )
Peachykeen

still recovering.. but perm disabled non- the - less

Post by Peachykeen »

Jack was attacked by another breeding pair of IRN for his mate. He lost. We weren't sure he was going to make it. He lost his eye and had a hard time breathing for his nares were torn up and scabbed over. This happened back in Feb - he had his first bath today.

I am worried he is going to lose his beak. He has scratched so much of it off.

Sometimes I wonder if I did the right thing (saving him)- I know a vet would have put him to sleep. Both his eyes were damaged but I had faith that if he could pull himself through- he deserved a chance to live.

I love Jackie and feel most horrible about what happened- he has his own house with lots of toys and gets so much love- plus he doesn't have to share his food- which I know IRN don't like to do.

If he loses his beak - does anyone know of a succesful handfeeding of an adult bird who has no way to eat on it's own??

Clearly he looks worse now than he did the day he got hurt.

Thanks!

I am adding another picture where you can see both sides of his face after the accident
Image[/img]
Suzanne- NC- USA
Lauren
Site Admin

Post by Lauren »

:cry: What a sad sight. I trust you are doing everything you can to make him comfortable and better his quality of life. Certainly not an easy decision you have to make.
Personally, I would ask myself.. Is the birds quality of life going to improve. Will he continue to suffer. Hard questions!
Have you and your vet talked about a plan, what to do if he does loose his beak? Will his eyesight improve? Is he blind? How is he eating now? Sorry for the questions. Its just so sad to see this. Poor lil Jack.
There is help for birds with loss of the beak. I wonder though if a prosthetic beak will better his life?

Here is some info on beak care and beak loss..
http://www.avianweb.com/brokenbeaks.html

To all of our disabled feathered friends and their carers. I wish you all the best. It cant be easy on you all. Especially when your asking those big questions and when most would give up. Its so nice to see you all have such big hearts and never give up. It takes a special person to deal with such tough decisions. My heart goes out to you all.
"Jibby aka Gilbert" Indian Ringneck 13 years "Charlie" Rex Rabbit 1 year