Fruit / Veggies needed???

Moderator: Mods

Pommeraniac

Fruit / Veggies needed???

Post by Pommeraniac »

Okay my guy will not touch fruits or veggies. On occassion he will eat a grape. He loves his Zupreem pellet and his seed mix. Do they need the fresh fruit and veggies?

Pommeraniac
Donna

Post by Donna »

There is some birds out there living on a seed diet but if your want to keep the bird healthy just keep trying to push the fruits and veggies on him. Don't give up. I would wean him off the seeds except for a treat. To much seed can cause fatty liver disease. I make a birdie bread out of the Jiffy corn muffin mix and add the fruit or veggies right in the mix and bake YUM YUM oh and don't forget to add the egg shells in the mix also. Donna
Bird crazy

fruit and veggies

Post by Bird crazy »

I get Nila to eat broccoli by putting it in a little piece of cooking parchment paper and twisting the ends like a piece of candy, he loves tearing it open and invariably eats what he finds in the paper.

Sue and Nila
Sue
Rowdy Vos eclectus, Dolly Cockatiel
Nila Blue IRN, Priya Grey IRN, and Bigotes the cat
Mikaela

Post by Mikaela »

Try temp... Baby wont eat anything cold. Even his favorites... chili peppers and fruit cups.
~ Mikaela Sky

Dani03

Post by Dani03 »

Prinny is pretty picky sometimes...it takes patience and a lot of buying of different veggies to finds the ones they like. Even then they might change and one day like a good hunk of something and the next turn it away like it was poison.

Dani
Mikaela

Post by Mikaela »

Dani03 wrote:Prinny is pretty picky sometimes...it takes patience and a lot of buying of different veggies to finds the ones they like. Even then they might change and one day like a good hunk of something and the next turn it away like it was poison.

Dani

Precisely :!:
~ Mikaela Sky

Mattls

Post by Mattls »

Veggies with lots of exciting colours are great, they'll look fun to play with, not to mention ringnecks love to get all messy. I give Sunni a mix of beans, peas, carrot and corn. One day she'll eat all the carrots along with everything else, the next day she'll meticulously go through and pull out everything orange (the carrots) and toss them. I've gotta get a photo of her after she's just dunked her head into a bunch of peas and beans, her beak turns green!
LAAnnie

veggies

Post by LAAnnie »

PeeGee is sitting right next to me with her bowl of chopped apples and veggies. Her favorite veggies are raw corn (on the cob), peas, green beans, peppers, cucumbers and carrots. Sometimes cauliflower and broccoli, sometimes not.

She also eats apples, cherries (the yellow ones, that don't stain everything) grapes.

She won't touch spinach or leafy stuff. Dried sprouts are very healthful, and she thinks they are nuts, so she will eat them.

Almonds and millett spray, for treats. Go easy on the sunflower and safflower seeds -- they are addictive, and the bird will refuse everything else. My vet said too much fat.
Melika

Post by Melika »

Here's how we generally see it:

A parrot will survive on pellets alone.
But they will not thrive.

...I'd avoid spinach right now, what with all the peeps getting sick in the US. It may be bacteria actually IN the veggies, contaminated water sucked up and inside the very core. Not something you can rinse away.
I've been called 'birdbrained' before, but somehow I don't think this is what they meant. say:hah-nay