how do you know how old is a IRN

Moderator: Mods

zero_or_die

how do you know how old is a IRN

Post by zero_or_die »

I bought my IRN two days ago at a petshop but Lady couldnt tell me how old Paulie is. If anyone could help I would appreciate your help thanks.Oh yeah she is a female.
Jodie

questions

Post by Jodie »

Hi,
It is really hard to age ringnecks. One way to sorta tell is by the length of the tail feathers. This is hard to explain and is not scientific! I ran across some measurements, but I don't remember where I found them at. The only measurments I did find were in mm and I hate conversions so, for what it is worth, I am sorry but this is all I could find! The measurements for tail length are 174-235mm (they also have wing length of 153-180mm and overall 42 cm). This is a general guideline to see if your bird is close or way off. A younger bird has a shorter tail feather length.

I would call the pet store back, perhaps, the person that you spoke with did not know, but the owner might. If the person that sold you the bird was the owner, I would wonder if you really have a female. Just remember the day you got them. Unless you plan to breed her, it doesn't really matter. I hope this helps!

Post by Guest »

Feather measurements? what about when they moult? IRNs regrow their tails every year. your tail length would depend on the season!

i find that mature birds will have a darker beak, young birds seem to have an 'orange' rather than dark red beak. if it is an adult you will have trouble finding its age unless you can find info from the previous owner.
indian ringneck

Post by indian ringneck »

I don't know about feather-measuring an IRN for age differences, and yes, Kiki's tail regrows every now and then. Each time it regrows, it differs in lengh.

I know about the change in beak color within smaller birds though, as i've determined age from Coco, my previous pet lovebird. I think beak-coloration might be the most effective way to determine age in birds, allthough i've never heard about feather-age determination before and would like to hear some more about it.

You cannot determine the precise age of your pet Indian Ringneck parrot at all, and only an estimation is possible.

Oh, by the way, congrats on your new feathered friend!