talking?

Moderator: Mods

birdman5000

talking?

Post by birdman5000 »

quick i need to know at what age does the average irn learn to talk? whats the youngest?

i realize that it depends on the indevidual bird and its environment, and some may never talk at all but i was curios
addicknchips

Post by addicknchips »

average is about a year old by Floyd started after about eight months! he is 13 months old now and does not stop talking. keep talking to yours and he/she will soon learn im sure
JHowes
Mikaela

Post by Mikaela »

Baby started at 7 months but I dont think thats average... a lil too young. Usually at or a little over a yr, I believe is more common.

If you knew me, you'd know why baby speaks so much and well. I never shut up. :oops:

And neither does she! -giggle-
Lisa's Tiki

Post by Lisa's Tiki »

Tiki started talking REALLY early. He was about 4 months old. My breeder told me Tiki's mother had a 200+ word vocabulary and I talk to Tiki alot. His cage is right next to the TV and directly across from the couch, so he is always the center of attention. Tiki is another one that will not shut up. He just talks like crazy. He is now almost 14 months old and his vocabulary consist of:

Hello
Tiki, Tiki
Hello Baby
What are you doing, huh?
Who's a good birdie? (the other day he said "I'm a good birdie!")
I love you
Bye Bye
Peek-a-Boo
Come Here
Step up
Mommy
Yeah

He also makes the sound of my car alarm turning off, does the wolf whistle and whistles "Shave and a hair cut - two bits"

He is also trying to say: "Do you want to play?"

He will repeat his phrases over and over again just at random and then he will also use them in context as well, but only if it suits him. He LOVES playing the game repeat what I say! He will say something and then waits for my 7 year old daughter to repeat it back to him and then he will say something else! :lol: :lol: :lol:
kyria
Site Admin
Location: Live in Australia - Have a home in Florida - Citizenship in Heaven

Post by kyria »

heheh .. kai will do that with the wolf whistle.. He will do the first whistle and wait for someone to do the second. Then if you do the first whistle he will finish with the second.

Him and hubby do the repeating game , but for kai its just sounds not words YET! I have heard .. hello and hey baby .. but not regularly yet.

Jordan is catching up quickly I think he is about to burst out with words very soon.

Kai is 19 months old and JOrdan is 9 months old.
Angie
---------
Hatred stirs up strife, But love covers all sins. {Pro 10:12}
-----------
God Bless

julie

Post by julie »

funny thing is i read somewhere that irns are not smart enough to talk.i think it was where i seen that lorrikeets cant either.indie doesnt shut up and cookie says whatcha doing and something else that i cant make out at the moment.
Mikaela

Post by Mikaela »

Hey Ya'll

Sidenote... been trying SO hard to get Baby to say Mama but naw... didnt dig the word. Well, recently my Mama visited for 2 weeks (never met her before) and now my baby says 'hey mama'. I dont know why I dont just say 'mama' but if im getting her attention I say 'hey mama, you see that truck'... or whatever.

Long story short... Baby picked it up from me. She wont say just mama... just as I say it, almost with a question mark she says... "Hey Mama"? and I say what baby... like my Mommie does!

Just met my mommie and I love her... understand so much now. One more piece of my puzzle that popped in and fit correctly. I wish she wouldnt have wasted 30 yrs though... I really like her. I love my mama, despite her absence in my life. There I said it... I love my Mama. :?
~*Gwennie*~

Post by ~*Gwennie*~ »

Lou says Whatcha doin like a broken record, lol it's sooo funny! he also says c'mere, baby, LouIS, makes a kissing sound, wolf whistles
~the stubborn one~
jen5239
Community Greeter

Post by jen5239 »

Well my babies don't say anything. Byndi can wolf whistle and will only do that when and if she wants. I don't know if they'll talk or not. I'm beginning to think they aren't going to. Which is fine, but I'd sure love it if they did. I just think it would add to the coolness of this beautiful bird. But I always have my Milo who can say, hi, i love you, good boy, and John thinks he says our dog's names. So... I would really love for my other babies to talk tho'.
Mikaela

Post by Mikaela »

Well:

According to the research we have done here... ringnecks DO NOT start talking after a yr to 15 months but much soon. Much, much sooner, in fact.
Dani03

Post by Dani03 »

Prinny started talking at 8 months of age...so I dunno. I alwasy heard it took a few years

Dani prinny Bodi
Mikaela

Post by Mikaela »

Me too and almost every one of our babies that do speak have proven they start before a yr usually... or not much at all when they do start later on.

Otherwords: 'Talkers' start before a yr and it comes on fast with around 20 words/phrases almost at once.

If the birdie starts later, it usually speaks very little with far less vocabulary.

According to my observation and in my humble opinion!
Dani03

Post by Dani03 »

Oh well...even if an IRN doesn't ever talk they are still perfect!

Dani Prinnd Bodi
CricketsMum

Post by CricketsMum »

Cricket wolf whistles and the start of "This old Man - he plays 1" etc, but he does also say hello. Not too clearly but he's working on it. He's nearly 12 months old now, so I'll keep working with him (what a character lol). And I think he thinks he's a cockatiel cause he mimics them (very loudly) which can get a bit annoying but you get that. :o
Bye for now