New IRN owner

Moderator: Mods

sohll

New IRN owner

Post by sohll »

Hi. I just adopted a one-year-old IRN. Because there is no sign of a ring, yet, I'm assuming she is a female - is that accurate? Her cage is about 28" by 28" by 36" tall, and I have two questions. I might have the opportunity to adopt a second female. Are IRN's happier singly in a cage or would she like a cage companion? Also, would her cage be large enough for two?

She has other birds to talk to - a Timneh African grey, two lovebirds, a cockatiel and a ringnecked turtledove (and two English budgies down the hallway when they're not being my class pets!).

Thanks for any info you can give me.
Jodie

question

Post by Jodie »

Hi,
If she is a year and no sign of a ring, it is a female. Males start to ring around a year and it comes in fully at 18 months. The dimensions you gave seem like plenty of room for two birds. I just hope they get along. Even though they are the same sex, there could be problems. I had an older hen and a younger hen together on a trip and the older hen nipped at the younger one most of the way. It was a car trip, so I have learned to bring an extra pet carrier just in case. When you introduce them, keep a close eye on them for a hour. If they seem alright leave them. If one nips at the other you could separate them and try to put them back together or keep an eye on them a bit longer. I might would introduce them close to night time. This way they have a little bit to look at one another and the night to think about it! Birds are funny you know! Hope this helps!