Newbie with first IRN.. And it hates me!

Let us know a little about yourself! Tell us about your birds and why you are here.

Moderator: Mods

Jasonj

Newbie with first IRN.. And it hates me!

Post by Jasonj »

Hi.. Am new to this site and today I bought home my first parakeet. It's in a large cage in a quiet corner of my lounge and I'll leave it alone for a few days at least to allow it to climatise.
This bird is 5months old and has never been handled. And it shows. It's climbing all over its cage at the mo and keeps as far from me as poss. He stares at me very suspiciously if he sees me move and I'd swear this bird would stab me if he had a knife! He bit me when I transferred him from the carrier and he meant it.
Anyway, not being handled I was expecting this. I certainly don't expect him to respect me until he has gained some trust.
So, what would be the best line of action to take as I mean to start as I carry on. Should I clip his wings now and get this stressful act over with or once he has settled in? Should I clip them at all to aid taming and training?
He looks very healthy apart from his tail feathers now look frayed from moving around in transit.
Any advice is greatly appreciated, on top of the researching I have already done.
indi :)

Re: Newbie with first IRN.. And it hates me!

Post by indi :) »

hi im Reece if you can open his/her cage and just let him get use to his surroundings and put on some thick gloves and just try and lift him up then stroke him and once you and your irn gets use to it take of the gloves and carry on stroking him
MissK

Post by MissK »

Hi jason,

I would advise you not to follow this advice from indi until indi gets a grip on his own bird. He has just made a post asking for help with his "biting and very aggressive" bird, which makes it sound to me like he is not having success with his methods. I suggest that handling your bird while he is terrified of you will be counterproductive in the extreme.

Congratulations! It sounds like you have a new, young adult bird who is afraid of you and uncomfortable in his new surroundings. You have put him in a large cage in a "safe" corner and are giving him some personal space to settle in. Is this right?

Your bird does need a little time to acclimate, and thanks for being considerate of him. You should spy on him to make sure he is eating and drinking. Using plain white paper towels on the bottom of the cage for a little while will make this job easier. Change them at least once a day so you get an accurate picture. If the bird absolutely cannot tolerate you looking at him, you can use a mirror or binoculars or hide behind a sheet to accomplish this. I hope it's not that bad though! :o If the bird is too scared to eat or drink, then there's a problem.

You should identify the range at which your bird can comfortably tolerate your presence and put a chair there. Spend time in this chair, doing quiet and gentle activities such as reading, surfing the net, sleeping, knitting -whatever you like to do. You should also put a little table or stool there to hold your food. Why food? You should eat food the bird likes, or should like, where he can see you. Put a little in the bowl, then go back and eat some more. Eating is a flock activity. This procedure will show the bird (1) you're not a threat sitting in your chair (2) you eat food he likes and (3) you share. Do this a lot and when you think it's time, inch the chair closer. If you get so close that the bird reacts unfavourably, you have gone too far and must retreat. Eventually, you would like the bird to expect that you are going to give him food. This little epiphany is a big deal as it is a key to building your relationship. Since you're doing such a great job, why not reward yourself? Pick up a copy of Karen Pryor's _Don't Shoot The Dog_ and read it while you sit in the chair.

Please don't clip his wings. I could give you a ton of reasons why I say this, but would you make it easy on me and just don't clip him because I asked it? Please? If you later decide I'm an idiot, you'll still be able to do it, but once you clip, it's done. It cannot be undone. Search Clipping and MissK if you want to read what I think on clipping.

You should also talk to your bird, gently. Tell him how great he is, how beautiful, and how sorry you are that he's scared. Avoid talking about negative things because the negativity may be conveyed to him, not in the words, but in your tone and body language. Allow him to be above you by giving him a high perch in the cage. Height is security to him. Some people talk about height dominance - I think this is hogwash. Humans are more concerned about dominance and hierarchy than any other animals I have explored. When you talk to the bird you are letting him get familiar with you, how you act and sound. It's also a very good idea to call ahead, again, gently, when you are approaching the room. You don't want to pop up and surprise him. Surprises in nature are so often not a good thing!

A contact call is very helpful, and if you don't guide the bird to one you like, he may choose something less ideal, like a shriek. The contact call says "I'm here" and "Where are you?" - kind of like the Marco Polo game. I taught my bird a two-part whistle. Either of us will use either part, and the other will answer (usually) with the other part. It's great, and since I selected the whistle, I'm very happy with it. We even play a little game where once of us will repeat the same part as the other just did, and that "forces" the opposite whistle from the other. I don't know if that makes sense as written, but it's a gas, especially when there's company who didn't really understand how smart birds can be.

Provide your bird with a variety of perches, at different heights, and a handful of toys. Perches can be natural (bird safe) wood and vines, as well as slabs of wood, and all are a step up from the smooth dowels that come with the cage. He needs places to go and a reason to go there, but don't put so much junk in the cage that there's no room for him to stretch out. If the cage is large enough for flight, though many do not fly readily in the cage, leave a path for flight. If he is not used to toys, keep them low in the cage so they will not be looming overhead. Offer paper, wood, safe twine, cardboard - stuff he can easily destroy. Provide foot toys. Read up on foraging and get him started on that right away. Ringnecks seem to like to put things in or on other things, so accommodate that. They also appreciate a variety of textures. Be aware that some birds don't like the colour red.

I hope these thoughts will help you get started making friends with your bird. There is a lot more to say, but it's Sunday morning and I haven't had my tea yet. You go make your own tea and get a bowl of fruit and nuts, and sit in your chair and talk to your bird. Have a nice day!
-MissK
Donovan

Post by Donovan »

your bird will learn to trust you and like you by not making him do things he doesn't want to do.. and by offering him food by hand... he probably won't take it but if you just ignore him and hold the food through the bars for 15 minutes at a time.. he'll eventually come take it (but don't starve him to lure him to doing this.. that's also very very bad). By "eventually" I don't mean within a few minutes. It could take several sessions before he braves up enough to come take the food.

That's a first step towards gaining trust, basically conveying to him that you're not a threat

missk I don't know who you think you are how could you just say im not having success with my method but my IRN is totally use to me now :evil: so DONT ever say I must first get grips with my own bird
Donovan

Post by Donovan »

Indi, there are many tried and true methods of taming IRNs. There are also methods that can yield early results but do poorly in the long run. That's where it all came from.

I don't understand
Donovan

Post by Donovan »

what I meant was to say that MissK knows what she's talking about
InTheAir

Post by InTheAir »

Hi Jason and indi,

I created this thread to try to explain some of the technicalities of difterent taming methods: http://www.indianringneck.com/forum/vie ... =2&t=18946
Indi, check out the links especially on learned helplessness.

Regards,
Claire
MissK

Post by MissK »

indi, I did not intend any personal attack. I simply share my impression from your post of earlier today, May 4th, 2014 entitled "need urgent help!!!!" in which you stated
hi im Reece and I am struggling to tame my biting very aggressive Indian ring neck
please help me :cry: he is 2 years old
http://www.indianringneck.com/forum/vie ... =2&t=19270
It simply seems to me that if you are calling for urgent help and your bird is very aggressive and biting, that the methods you currently employ are not effective. It further seems to me that if your methods do not work for you they are not very likely to work for jason either.
-MissK
eckythump

Post by eckythump »

Jasonj wrote:Hi.. Am new to this site and today I bought home my first parakeet. It's in a large cage in a quiet corner of my lounge and I'll leave it alone for a few days at least to allow it to climatise.
This bird is 5months old and has never been handled. And it shows. It's climbing all over its cage at the mo and keeps as far from me as poss. He stares at me very suspiciously if he sees me move and I'd swear this bird would stab me if he had a knife! He bit me when I transferred him from the carrier and he meant it.
Anyway, not being handled I was expecting this. I certainly don't expect him to respect me until he has gained some trust.
So, what would be the best line of action to take as I mean to start as I carry on. Should I clip his wings now and get this stressful act over with or once he has settled in? Should I clip them at all to aid taming and training?
He looks very healthy apart from his tail feathers now look frayed from moving around in transit.
Any advice is greatly appreciated, on top of the researching I have already done.

to be honest there are many ways of taming, handling , feeding etc etc, so gonna add my 2 pennies worth, IRN's are all different, there is no right or wrong way of doing things for your bird, if someone knew everything then they probably dont really need this site, ADVICE..... learn your birds likes and dislikes, space, foods etc etc, trust will come in time, the best advice is be patient no matter how long it takes.
Jasonj

Post by Jasonj »

Hi everyone..
Thanks for your replies.
I have seen this bird eating and drinking. His droppings look normal and he has sorted his own tail feathers out.
I played the call of a wild IRN from my phone and he called back. It was like is flicked a switch.. Since then he looks at me curiously rather than suspiciously. I can approach the cage slowly and he won't move from his perch. I have placed a chair 2 foot from his cage and he allows me to sit there. That's when I watched him eat. I have purposely kept my hands in my pocket, and will keep doing this until I feel he is familiar with my presence. Iam now commited to leaving him flighted as I don't want to undo the little trust I have already gained.
I have kept budgies for 40years and have trained them to being super tame. This includes going in the shower with me, talking, climbing in my clothes and going outdoors on my shoulder fully flighted. But this is my first IRN and I hope I can transfer some of the bonding techniques to this little chap.
I was told when I bought him yesterday that he is 5months old and probably male? If I can post a pic, I'd love to know what you think as I'm not so sure how to tell?
Perhaps I should record his progress and post it all up in here so others may correct or advice on what I'm doing, as I'm just winging it here (no pun intended!).
I just want a social, cheeky and happy bird without behavioural problems. I hope 5months is not too late to start.
Jason
Donovan

Post by Donovan »

lol, I think all IRNs have some behavioral problems. They're very naughty sneaky little birds. You may not be able to quite tame him to what you have envisioned, but you can convince him that you are the most awesome thing in the world. When you sit by him try eating. Do this a few times. Feel free to look over at him and briefly speak in a casual way and then continue eating. If he shows even the slightest interest then drop a piece down in his bowl. He might not rush down to snatch it up but he'll know it's there. Eventually he'll get to where he expects a bite. He'll even demand it.
Another way would be to just sit there holding a treat through the bars. He'll be nervous and stay away but eventually he'll be brave enough to come over and take it. If he's really scared of you this could take several sessions of about ten minutes each time you try. Also he will build his nerve up better if he thinks he's getting away with something so don't look at him while you're doing this.

In time he will realize the best stuff comes from your hand.

I could be wrong about how tame he ends up in the future. He may turn out to be extremely tame. But for now he's just not sure about you.
Jasonj

Post by Jasonj »

"What I have envisioned" now that is a good point! I'm hoping for a bird that's going to gladly sit on my shoulder and hand, not have to keep his cage shut so he can come and go as he pleases. Play with his toys and be a little mischievous by pulling threads from the lounge rug and throwing stuff about etc, not be constantly screeching, biting or hostile. I'm expecting this bluffing period that I keep hearing about, but I'm hoping I have his attention by then. I'd rather he wasn't too flighty by flying round and round the light fitting all day.
If he can learn a few words, that would be great, but I'm thinking that he won't have the vocabulary of a budgie, nor be as tame and faithful to venture outdoors. But that's cool, I didn't get him to be a budgie. I want him to be different.
Getting this bird will be the best thing I ever done- or the worst. I'm just not sure which yet lol but either way he is here to stay and I don't want to make silly mistakes that may break his spirit or be over cautious that he doesn't make his own potential. If that makes sense?
It certainly seems some of you have sound advice and plenty of experience of these birds.
Donovan

Post by Donovan »

I think he's over the bluffing age, but I can't swear to it. He may be in it now. The bluffing age is a very critical time for their psychological development. Their experiences during this time affect them for the rest of their lives.
MissK

Post by MissK »

Jason, I think you can probably get what you envision.

Glad to hear you're a Budgie expert - I have a little flock, myself. :D
-MissK
Jasonj

Post by Jasonj »

This bird was advertised DOB 14/12/13 so not quite 5months. He is not rung, so who knows. Could be over a year old for all I know.
If I told you the story of how I got it, you'd understand why I'm suspicious of what I have been told. It contradicts a lot of what I researched.
Anyway, I need to give him a name. Ive been calling it prettyboy as that's what I called all my budgies, but it doesn't suit him. I might give him one of your usernames haha
MissK

Post by MissK »

MISSK!! MISSK!! Call him MissK!!! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

What's the colour? Where'd he come from? Did they make any assertion to the gender? Who's your favourite flying superhero? Can you wait until some sort of name just presents itself? How about an Indian name? How about Indiana? I have a female human friend named Indiana, and then there's that fellow from the Lost Ark, so it would cover all the bases..... How about Lemon Lime? How about Squeaky? Or Squiggy? Or Floyd?
-MissK
Jasonj

Post by Jasonj »

I might call it missk lol..
They breeder said they suspect it's a boy. It's all green.
I like the idea of India related. My father lived in India when he was a boy and he kept these birds as pets. He would shin up a tree and rob one out of a nest and drop it to his brother below! Several would perish before he'd catch one in his cap. That was a long time ago.
We have wild ones in London, numerous thousands strong. It crossed my mind to visit the parks where they nest and roost and collect a youngster in pretty much the same way. But it would take a child's arm to fit in the hole lol
This bird is much more timid than I'd hope for, but I reckon he will do just fine. And no, he won't be having his wings clipped ;)
I tried to upload a pic, but it's larger than 100kb so failed.
Donovan

Post by Donovan »

Here is how I post pictures
go to http://postimage.org/
register (you don't have to but I suspect if you don't that your images might disappear after a time)

then upload your pictures to that site... then take the url and post them here. Be sure to use the IMG option at the top of the typing area.

that's what I do.. otherwise uploading pics to this site is a pain because it forces you to keep your pics small
MissK

Post by MissK »

Guess your dad didn't have a bag.......

You could name your bird after your dad, or even after the place where he lived. Or you could pick a descriptive name and use the Indian language term for that. I think there are a number of Ringnecks named Mithu. And green is a beautiful colour - my bird is green, so I'm an expert on that. :lol: I think he looks particularly dashing among green leaves.
-MissK
Donovan

Post by Donovan »

Jasonj

Post by Jasonj »

Thanks for the link Donovan.. I'll try to upload a pic without registering to see what happens and maybe sign up if it works (it failed first attempt). Watch this space.
My green budgie has found the ringnecks cage.. They are now playing I'm gonna get the toes and tail feathers through the bars. They're not scared or one another at all. They're the same age, but the budgie is hand tame and it's only been me and him until now.
And I might call him Saab (sahib- Indian for sir) but we shall see.
Next step is treats that he likes- will fresh apple and grape peices but ok? What do you give them?
Jasonj

Post by Jasonj »

Can't upload a pic from the link.. This site said it's too spammy for a new user. And i can't upload from camera roll as the file is too big and I can't reduce it.
eckythump

Post by eckythump »

Jasonj wrote:Thanks for the link Donovan.. I'll try to upload a pic without registering to see what happens and maybe sign up if it works (it failed first attempt). Watch this space.
My green budgie has found the ringnecks cage.. They are now playing I'm gonna get the toes and tail feathers through the bars. They're not scared or one another at all. They're the same age, but the budgie is hand tame and it's only been me and him until now.
And I might call him Saab (sahib- Indian for sir) but we shall see.
Next step is treats that he likes- will fresh apple and grape peices but ok? What do you give them?
most like monkey nuts, mine also likes raisins and plums as treats mate
Jasonj

Post by Jasonj »

Ok, thanks. I'll try them.
The breeder told me to keep clear of fresh fruit and veg as it makes them ill. I was informed to feed him cockatiel mix. This didn't sound right to me and went against what I researched.
eckythump

Post by eckythump »

Jasonj wrote:Ok, thanks. I'll try them.
The breeder told me to keep clear of fresh fruit and veg as it makes them ill. I was informed to feed him cockatiel mix. This didn't sound right to me and went against what I researched.
wise choice mate, some of my research said that the wild IRN's are thriving in the south of england where fresh fruit and veg are readily available, just keep them away from junk food with too many additives that will do more harm than good, good luck with your endeavors ...... remember patience is the key and not every bird is the same :)
Donovan

Post by Donovan »

Nothing will make your bird healthier than to have a steady supply of fresh vegetables and fruit. If for some reason you have trouble getting him to eat then rethink the presentation. Remember they're like kids so sometimes they might enjoy playing with their food
Jasonj

Post by Jasonj »

Your research is right. A few years back I personally witnessed wild IRN Parakeets raiding garden fruit trees in Croydon, on the edge of London. They swoop in like fighter jets and swiftly move through the trees taking what they like. They very quickly move on. They know the best trees and was great to watch. The locals were complaining about the racket that they make.
All the ones I saw were green. I'm not sure if there are any mutations wild in the uk?
Donovan

Post by Donovan »

Mutations would surely almost never occur in nature.
MissK

Post by MissK »

They would also be quite easy for predators to spot quickly.
-MissK
Jasonj

Post by Jasonj »

These are all descendants from domestic birds. Legend has it some escaped from a film set, others say a breeding pair were released by Jimi Hendrix (which he did as it was filmed) as a symbol of peace.
Luckily they were green. As I much prefer native animals, as nature intended. I don't rate cross breeds/mutations much.
My bird is settling just nicely. He accepted a monkey nut and a tiny slice of apple today.
So far, so good :D