Crashing in to windows

Moderator: Mods

Rosemary

Crashing in to windows

Post by Rosemary »

Hello again, this time I am asking about wing clipping. When I bought Bobby from the Pet shop, she clipped his wing for me, but left the two outside long wings uncut, he can still fly. Whenever he is out and I leave the room he tries to follow me, but ends up crashing into the windows and walls and I am afraid that he will badly injure himself, should I cut the long outside feathers as well, if so, on one or both wings. Rosemary :?
Jodie

wing clip

Post by Jodie »

Hi,
I would definately cut Bobby's wings. There is a website you can check out at http://www.wingscc.com/aps/wingclip.htm Ringnecks cannot see windows and if they fly at high speeds they can kill themselves! Even if all the flight feathers are clipped, he can still glide and brace his fall from heights. The pet store did not clip two of the primary feathers to help brace his fall. I would first trim the secondary feathers before clipping the primary feathers. Hope this helps!

Post by Guest »

only clip one side. the idea is to put them off balance so they cant fly. think of an aeroplane, it can still fly with two short wings but with one long and one short its not going anywhere.
Jodie

follow up

Post by Jodie »

Hi,
I read my response and wanted to elaborate on what I meant when I said, " I would first trim the secondary feathers before clipping the primary feathers." I meant I would cut secondary feathers after the three primary feathers were cut leaving the two on the end. The two on the end really make the bird beautiful. If the bird can fly either the primary feathers need to be retrimmed or I would trim secondary feathers. But alot of times after a bird knows they can fly, they will try their hardest to continue to fly. Once they realize they can't get the height they are used to they will settle down. If that still does not work I would clip one of the two end primary feathers. This should ground it! Hope this helps!