IRN is only friendly towards one person

Moderator: Mods

Tehhaas

IRN is only friendly towards one person

Post by Tehhaas »

My parrot is only friendly to my dad. She never lets anyone else put their hands in the cage and bites the if they do. Is there anything i can do to stop her from doing this? my fingers are getting sick of it :(

She acts fine when when she is not in the cage. My dad has to get her out of the cage and only then can I actually play with her
Doodlebug

Re: IRN is only friendly towards one person

Post by Doodlebug »

She is being territorial over he cage. Her cage is her home, the place where she feels safe, so if you invade that place she will defend it. The same goes with playstands, and people, they form attachments and will attack if they think their stuff or their special person is under threat.

I think the safest bet is to just handle her outside the cage, but if you want to interact with her while she is in there, maybe use gentle movements and nice treats, to show you mean no harm and for her to see you as a 'treat giver'.

Have you considered target with clicker training at all?
Loo :)
Tehhaas

Re: IRN is only friendly towards one person

Post by Tehhaas »

Do you think think that there is any way that I can help to stop her from doing this? Ive had her for over two years now (since she was 9 months old). I have another IRN, he is friendly to everybody, but the aggressive one will try to bite him. Both of them have been together for about a year now and the still need to be separated to prevent fights.

Thanks