Should I replace my male ringneck?

Moderator: Mods

pene.sampson

Should I replace my male ringneck?

Post by pene.sampson »

Hi everyone,
Last season I built a nesting box with saw dust inside and put it in the aviary. The female was very interested, spending hours in there and removed most of the saw dust from the box, but the male showed no interest in her. They were both two years old. After a while I checked the box and found three eggs, I thought they would be infertile because I never saw them mate or even feed each and I just left her to incubate them fro a while, just coming out to eat and then return straight away. While she had the eggs the male would usually sit on the perch to the nesting box and look in every now and then. After a month she started spending less time in the box so I checked the eggs were infertile (they were) and removed them.

I want to try them again next season but they still don't seem interested in each other although my female is going in the nest box again even though it is not the season yet (I live in New Zealand so my breeding season is probably different to most of yours, I don't know when your season starts.) Does anyone have any tips? Do you think it was possibly because they are a little young? Any help would be appreciated. They will be three years this next season coming.
Jayjess2013

Re: Should I replace my male ringneck?

Post by Jayjess2013 »

well they are not bonded, and usually males tend to mature later than females, maybe when he's mature he will show intrest in her.
Jay, jess and 4 mischevious Budgerigars