Question for Mazziemom

Moderator: Mods

elaine

Question for Mazziemom

Post by elaine »

Hello, I am asking this because of a comment you made in recent photos put on here by Gweenie and her new cage. What do you mean about the perches. I am new to my IRN so listen to all the advice that all you 'old hands' say on here. I didn't know there was anything but wooden perches. My baby has some short rope perches but they are more toys than full length perches. When you mentioned ulcers, my stomach did a double take - does this really happen? why and when? (sorry about so many questions in one). I want to do all I can to look after my bird properly and now I am worried. Advice is much appreciated. Thanks Elaine.
Dani03

Post by Dani03 »

Sorry Mazziemom...but I'd figure I'd try to answer...

If you use the dowel perches it is not a good thing. Dowels are uniform in shape and do not allow the bird to excercise his feet. This can create arthritis or foot sores on the feet early. Get the natural perches, ones that look like branches but have a metal screw and two washers. You attach these to the side. If you have all dowels get them out asap...and replace with natural wood that varies. Also the birds just love to chew on them...a great toy :wink:

Dani and Prinny
Mazziemom

Post by Mazziemom »

No problem dear...

Those dowels can cause sores on the feet, I've seen them be just red swollen spots, and I've seen actual broken open sores. Not pretty, and really painful for a creature that stands for its entire life.

Heres a link that shows you some natural perches:

http://www.drsfostersmith.com/product/N ... 003+113417

I like cholla a lot because they are soft and easy to grip. They do get chewed up, but birds are supposed to chew.

I prefer manzinita with the bark on it if you can find it, its easier to grip. Sandblasted is my second choice.

http://www.drsfostersmith.com/product/N ... 003+113418

Thats some rope perches, which are great on the feet, but the birds can chew on them and create hazards (threads to get caught in) so they require a lot of attention and trimming if chewed.

Concrete perches are good for nails, but terrible for feet, so if you get one put it somwhere in the cage that your bird just passes over it to get other places, rather than stands on it a lot.

Heres another perch option, and one that I like...

http://www.greyfeathertoys.com/cgi-bin/ ... iliate_id=

To make a long post short... You can use the dowels, but they should not be the only option and you need to watch your birds feet for sore spots.

Athena
elaine

Post by elaine »

Thank you both for your advice. The cage I bought just came with the perches and, of course, I did not know otherwise. They are all dowl (4). I went to the pet shop today and was told not to worry they will be fine, however, they had nothing else to sell me so that's probably why they said that. I will research where I can buy other alternatives from near me and, in the meantime, keep an eye on my baby's feet.
sooty

Post by sooty »

We back onto a small creek, and there is always an abundance of trees that have dropped branches.

They are great for feet as they are not uniform, they are great for chewing, and so easily to replace.......I can't go anywhere without looking to see if there are any great perches lying around. You can also chop them up, drill holes through them and make instant toys...add a few beads, even I can make those
Cathy
natalie

ur so lucky

Post by natalie »

Cathy, ur lucky to be able to go out back and grab some branches. I av 2 get in he car and drive for 20 mins. I didnt think u could just use any old branch, do u treat it first apart from the obvious cleaning? Natalie xx :)
To handle yourself use your head, to handle others use your heart.xx
sooty

Post by sooty »

The area that I live in is prolific in native birds, so I have always just grabbed branches that I have thought would be interesting and fun.......I figured that the birds use then in the wild...have been doing it for years and have never had a problem, I also grab a lot of native branches with seed pods, fruit, and flowers, it's a great stimilus for the birds, but I do have a friend who is a bird only wildlife carer, and she has shown me what is ok and not. Also they love the tall weedy type of grasses.......anything that's free I'm in favour of. There is one lady who lets me collect gumnuts from her tree for my galah, she thinks its hysterical that I stand on top of my car trying to get the best ones just so I can take then home for my bird to destroy. *sigh* some things you just can't elplain to some people. lol

If you go after a good storm, or windy day to do some collecting you could potentially make the trip really worth it.

*no offence ment, but had to giggle when you said 20 mins....the difference between countries and all, I drive 40 mins to and from uni every day,sometimes only to be there for an hour, and I often drive the kids and dogs up the coast on a weekend to go to the beach , 1hr 1/2 strange how driving times are considered in a different way depending on the country*
Cathy