Who am I ?

Moderator: Mods

abdulwassay

Who am I ?

Post by abdulwassay »

My violet pair breed first time and three chicks hatched out of four eggs.All three chicks are different from each.One is wh wt violet,One is violet and I want to inquire about the third one which is not simple blue it is rather greenish typeImage.
abdulwassay

Re: Who am I ?

Post by abdulwassay »

Skyes_crew

Post by Skyes_crew »

I'm taking a guess here because I'm still very new to genetics and mutations. Someone with experience will come along shortly and answer you. But I would like to try.

To me it looks like you have two violets and a turquoise. From the pics you provided that's what I would say :) what was the parentage of the violet breeding pair?
I am owned by my birds...and I wouldn't have it any other way :D

Ring0Neck

Post by Ring0Neck »

In the last pic the greenish bird looks lighter then a turquoise, and has a very even color throughout.
can you post more pics without flash? from the back also and make sure we can see the tails.
and tell us the parents info.
sheyd

Post by sheyd »

I would say from the first pic- Blue, dfViolet and Violetblue
Skyes_crew

Post by Skyes_crew »

Shey...I know there is a difference, but what is the difference between a violet and a violetblue?

sheyd

Post by sheyd »

Doublefactor Violets have 2 copies (of Violet), and Violetblue's have only 1.
trabots

Post by trabots »

Doublefactor Violets have 2 copies (of Violet), and Violetblue's have only 1.
Sheyd, not quite, you are incorrectly using Parblue terminology. DF Violet Blue and Violet Blue are correct and as you say the former has 2 genes (or factors) and the latter only 1. Only co-alleles have their names joined. TurquoiseBlue, IndigoBlue, TurquoiseIndigo etc.

I am being a renegade now by dropping the 'Blue' ie: DF Violet, Violet, Turquoise etc. as 95% of people do also. When not Blue series just add Green ie: DF Violet Green, Violet Green. If the Parblue has two of the same genes I use df Turquoise, df Indigo etc. I know this is sacrilege to the authors of the International Naming System however they haven't participated for several years now. This system does not confuse like the INS does even though the INS is technically correct.
sheyd

Post by sheyd »

Ah, thanks for clearing that up- it is hard sometimes to know what is correct and incorrect terminology. - when everyone writes it something different. So, Violet and Violet Blue for Violet on Blue- of course I knew about writing Green if on a Green series- and I, like you like to put a DF in front (on a homozygous bird) so as to no confusion- even though, it's not technically correct.
trabots

Post by trabots »

and I, like you like to put a DF in front (on a homozygous bird) so as to no confusion- even though, it's not technically correct.
Totally correct in non-allelic mutations however technically not right in alleles. The correct homozygous Turquoise is Turquoise, however everyone uses this for the heterozygous when heterozygous is correctly TurquoiseBlue. So I use Turquoise (hetero) like most do and df Turquoise (homo) and then no confusion. Only this latter use is technically incorrect.
sheyd

Post by sheyd »

it doesn't feel right to me, to write 'Turquoise' for a single factored bird-think I'll stick to TurquoiseBlue- no argument as to what it is then.
Skyes_crew

Post by Skyes_crew »

Surprisingly I understood all that. My confusion was in some people using DF violet SF violet. And others using DF violet and violet blue. And others using DF violet blue and violet blue. I was starting to think they were all different colors. So the parents of the above birds only had to carry one violet factor each to produce a DF violet blue baby? So if the parents were both sf violet blues then they also could produce normal blues? But if each parent carried the violet factor, how would you get a baby that was only a sf violet blue?

trabots

Post by trabots »

it doesn't feel right to me, to write 'Turquoise' for a single factored bird-think I'll stick to TurquoiseBlue- no argument as to what it is then.
I would also however what does one do when you do write just Turquoise and just about everybody assumes a heterozygous bird? Most have never heard that you can df a Parblue. Whether one uses TurquoiseBlue or Turquoise for heterozygous, if you use df Turquoise for homozygous , nobody can be confused.