My new babies are not banded

Moderator: Mods

salsapicante

My new babies are not banded

Post by salsapicante »

Hello, I have a question about banding. I acquired two beautiful baby IRN's from a local pet owner
(not a breeder) who's birds had their first clutch. The babies are 7 weeks old. They don't have a leg band and I'm wondering if I should care or not. I think they are too old to band now and they didnt' come from a breeder so I'm not even sure what a band would have on it for ID. Thoughts? They will be going to an Avian vet shortly for a wellcheck but I thought I'd ask here first.

Thanks,
SalsaPicante : )
salsapicante

Re: My new babies are not banded

Post by salsapicante »

Thank you for your reply. If I understand correctly, you are suggesting that I band them myself with some unique ID code that makes sense to me and just document it for my own records, correct?
Dean0

Post by Dean0 »

I would put band on cage and save the bird the trauma.
Just another bird brain
MissK

Post by MissK »

I won't buy an unbanded bird for this very reason. Since they all do look pretty much alike, the band is your ticket to proof of ownership in case the bird is lost, stolen, or disputed. IRNs can be microchipped, but when I heard the details of the chipping, I decided against. If you acquire multiple identical birds, the band will be most useful. If you allow or encourage the birds to breed, you certainly will need to band to keep track of everyone. (And note here, that would make you, like the original owner of these birds, an amateur breeder.) If the birds will live with you always and forever, and never breed, you can take your chances with no band, but you better teach them to say your name and address.

-MissK
-MissK
ellieelectrons

Post by ellieelectrons »

In Australia (or at least in Qld), only Australian-native birds are required to be banded. Other countries have other rules. I have one bird-banded and one bird not banded. I asked my vet to remove Janey's band because it got stuck once on a branch (she was able to get it out easily, I just didn't like the thought of her getting in trouble with it). He didn't want to do it, so I didn't push it.

I don't know if bands are a legally-recognised way of bird identification. I haven't microchipped either. I would consider it if my bird needed to be anesthetized for another reason, but I personally don't like the idea of anesthetizing my birds just to get the microchip implanted.

Ellie.
ellieelectrons

Post by ellieelectrons »

Yes, it's permitted just not required.

Ellie.