short tail

Moderator: Mods

Darlene

short tail

Post by Darlene »

Hello, My IRN ( Luna ) went through a molt the end of summer and beginning of fall. I didn't see any bare spots, just some wing feathers and he lost his tail. Here it is March and it seems that his tail is really slow growing back. I noticed that there are several tail feathers broken off, or chewed off. Is this why it is taking so long for the tail feathers to grow back? After all he is a IRN, known for thier long elegant tails and my Luna just has a short little tail and it seems to be takeing so long to grow back. I feed a pellet and seed mix, plus fresh fruits and veggies and some nuts and add a boiled egg to his food about twice a week. So I'm doing everything I can for a good diet and feathers. I was told I could pull the broken tail feathers out.......OUCH! :( I can't bring myself to do that to him. Question: If I just leave them alone, will he grow in a new tail?
Neokireina

Post by Neokireina »

It may take a long time for the tail feathers to molt out. Plucking the tail feathers isnt really that hard, just a quick yank like you would on your sisters hair :p. Wing feathers I would never touch though, I would let the vet or breeder do that one. I had my breeder do it to my bappy bird when I had her clipped. He pulled the clipped feathers out and she grew back her wings.
Darlene

Post by Darlene »

:) Thanks, I needed anouther comment on the tail feathers. I have an appointment with my avian vet. He will remove the broken tail feathers, since they are the ones that are not growing and feel sharp on the end. And also trim the wing feathers that need some attention. Since the shaft of the feathers are dark, I can't tell which are blood feathers. So I am afraid to do the trimming myself.
Xenobia

Post by Xenobia »

I feel your pain!

Busey's tail feathers all broke off from him being so rough playing and he had "duck butt" for the longest time.
They DO grow back!

He finally looks almost like an IRN is supposed to again!