how is this possible ?

Moderator: Mods

Farzz1

how is this possible ?

Post by Farzz1 »

i have aquired a pair of violets split pied , I paired them together last season an have bred an unusual bird this bird in apperance looks striking to a mauve but a predominant sheen of floresent blue on it almost like the nape of the neck of a malabar parakeet ,what would cause this occurance?
angeldc77

Re: how is this possible ?

Post by angeldc77 »

Maybe your violets were actually cobalts which would give you muave(Double dark factor). Or they could be cobalt violets.
Farzz1

Post by Farzz1 »

hi
The cobolt violet mutation i have them with on a seperate pairing however the physical apperance do not look the same , the chick cannot be a mauve because in another pairing were a mauve has been bred there is a big difference between to two of the chicks .the violets are definatly violets as cobolt violets are much lighter than them
many thanks
madas

Post by madas »

Farzz1 wrote:the violets are definatly violets as cobolt violets are much lighter than them
many thanks
Nope. A normal hetereozygous violetblue is lighter compared to a cobalt violetblue. And even a violet(df)blue isn't mucher darker then a cobalt violetblue.
So best is you post some pics of the parents and of the youngster.

grertings
Johan S

Post by Johan S »

madas wrote:
Farzz1 wrote:the violets are definatly violets as cobolt violets are much lighter than them
many thanks
Nope. A normal hetereozygous violetblue is lighter compared to a cobalt violetblue.
I agree 100%.

Think of it this way: cobalt, mauve, olive, etc. are descriptive names. The actual mutation name is dark. So you get "violet" (SF violet), and then you get "dark violet" (SF dark SF violet = cobalt violet). :D
angeldc77

Post by angeldc77 »

That's what I was trying to say :D Thanks for breaking it down. You guys rock!!