what is the difference?

Moderator: Mods

LadyCalypso

what is the difference?

Post by LadyCalypso »

This may sound like a silly question but I will ask anyway lol :mrgreen: Can some one please tell me the difference between a pallidino and a turquoise lacewing. and also if you have photos to help or guide me somewhere that can tell me :wink: Thanks so much.
Lushen1600

Re: what is the difference?

Post by Lushen1600 »

Hi as far as I know its not genetically possible to get a pallid ino hen, only available in cock birds, also when looking at the genetic calculator you will notice that pallid is co dominant over ino, so when entering pallid ino into the genetic calculator you tick visual pallid and split ino, this is only possible to do with cock birds because hens cannot be split for sex-linked mutations

Thanks
Lushen
2014 Pairs
Green x Green
DGreen x DBlue
DE Blue/ino x DBlue
Grey/ino x Albino
Pallidino x Lutino
DE Blue Turq x Grey
DE Grey Turq x Blue
Greygreen/cinn x DE Blue Cinn
DE DBlue Turq x Blue Turq CHWT
Blue x DBlue Turq
Blue x Blue Pallid
Lutino/blue x Blue
Johan S

Re: what is the difference?

Post by Johan S »

Well, think of ino and pallid as follows. First, we saw a mutation at a specific region in the genetic make up (locus) that caused an effect where the melanin stopped being produced. This caused a type of albanism, which, as most know, isn't a good thing. So nature tried to correct the problem to restore the removed melanin, but was only halfway successful (termed a back mutation). The somewhat restored version of the ino mutation is the pallid mutation. Both being sex-linked, means that a hen can only carry one of these at a time. Remember, they sit in the same region (locus). Cocks, however, can carry none, one or both. Very similar to thinking about blue, or a variation of the same locus, parblue. Thus, a pallid-ino cock is a bird somewhere between an ino and a pallid. A similar thing happens in recessive/non-sex linked ino, with bronzefallow being the back mutation (like pallid). Thus, you can also get bronzefallow-NSLino 'alikes' similar to pallid-ino. This time, however, being non-sex linked, it can happen in both hens and cocks. At least, thats the way I understand it.