IRN and Goffin Cockatoo

Moderator: Mods

Faaria

IRN and Goffin Cockatoo

Post by Faaria »

Hi there

Ok so, I have a mature female IRN and a mature male budgie in my cage. They are best of friends. I am rescuing a Goffin Cockatoo and I would like to know if I can house them together. My cage is just under a metre long and wide, and over a metre in height. Please keep in mind that IRN's have a height of 17", while Goffin's are the smallest of the Cockatoo family at 13" and are docile as compared to my moody IRN. To give you an idea, I have several perches, several swings, 4 feeding bowls, numerous toys, and my IRN spends most of her day outside her cage, unlike the budgie.

So essentially, can I house them together?
Melika

Re: IRN and Goffin Cockatoo

Post by Melika »

I would not house them together. But I've also had a lovebird almost bite the toes off a cockatiel, IRNs that harass one another, Hane tries to pluck out my 'tiel's crest feathers, Tsume tried to remove Hane's tail, and seen too many pictures/stories detailing what parrots are capable of doing to one another. A larger bird can physically remove the beak of a smaller bird (even a same-sized bird can do that), bite off toes, or injure in other ways. They can do severe damage to humans as well, especially to faces.

It's not that a bird will attack another or injure it, it's simply that the possibility is there and a larger bird can so much more easily injure a smaller one. None of my birds that tried to injure another were even housed together. I can't imagine what would have happened if they were.

I had a pair of tiels housed with budgies in the past- but they were in a small aviary and had A LOT of room to get away from one another and two seed dishes to prevent fighting.
I've been called 'birdbrained' before, but somehow I don't think this is what they meant. say:hah-nay
Faaria

Re: IRN and Goffin Cockatoo

Post by Faaria »

Thank you for your opinion. I appreciate you finding the time to reply to my question.