HELP! IRN always on cage he wont stand on my hand or finger

Moderator: Mods

maxieIRN

HELP! IRN always on cage he wont stand on my hand or finger

Post by maxieIRN »

hey...

my indian ringneck is 6 months and 3 weeks
he is always on his cage he looks comfortable around his cage like to b out of it and siting ontop of the cage alot
he takes food from my hand and everything but if i put my hand out so he could hop on he wont :cry: he throws himself on the floor and walks around the house and when i put my finger close to him he hops on and its normal but wen hes on the cage he wont hop on my finger ?

what should i do
ellieelectrons

Re: HELP! IRN always on cage he wont stand on my hand or fin

Post by ellieelectrons »

Have you tried positive reinforcement for stepping up from your cage onto your hand (eg. holding food so that he has to step up to get it?)

I would suggest that perhaps you have another play area for your bird (eg. a gym or a T-perch). If your bird is not flighted put it in easy access of his cage and try to limit your interactions with your bird to this spot for a while. It could be cage aggression although, as you say, it's hitting the deck not biting you. My Charlie is one of the gentlest birds I've ever seen and yet if I approach him whilst he is on top of his cage, 70% of the time he will bite because he is protective of it.

My birds too will always step up for me if they are on the floor. I don't know why... maybe they feel insecure on the floor and want to get to a higher perch?

Ellie.