Change in Poo colour & size

Moderator: Mods

MatthewsFamily

Change in Poo colour & size

Post by MatthewsFamily »

Just a bit concerned about my babies, yesterday I noticed Lauren & Rio's poo has changed to a big brown poo with water around it, then today I have found their poo to be orange. Not sure if this is normal as I have however in the last couple of days reduced their seed and increased their veg intake. Yesterday they had broccoli, carrot and cauliflower readily available all day and a bit of seed for dinner plus some green apple for a treat at training/playtime.
Is this just the case of poo changing colour according to what they eat or something more sinister?

Clare
Lauren (olive irn) 15 mths
Rio (blue irn) 5 mths
ellieelectrons

Re: Change in Poo colour & size

Post by ellieelectrons »

It does change colour according to what they have been eating... but equally it can be sign of illness... although given you've just changed their diet it is more likely that it was the diet change. However, if you want to be safe, you could take them to an avian vet.

We get a wellness check once a year for our little guys. He tests their poo, draws blood and tests for psittacosis, inspects their bodies, etc.

I can't say they enjoy it but it's always good to get a clean bill of health. Usually with birds if you wait until they start showing signs of illness it can be too late.

Ellie.
MatthewsFamily

Post by MatthewsFamily »

Thanks Ellie!

Well I have two very happy and healthy babies. All came back clear, the cause was due to diet change, Thankgoodness!!

Clare
Lauren (olive irn) 15 mths
Rio (blue irn) 5 mths
ellieelectrons

Post by ellieelectrons »

Glad to hear it!

That's always a relief.

Ellie.