Personality in young birds?

Moderator: Mods

kamerynn

Personality in young birds?

Post by kamerynn »

I'm watching my two handraised birds develop, and I'm wondering if the personalities I'm seeing now are going to carry forward into adulthood. Echo is quite aloof and not at all keen on physical contact, but if we take the other birds to the other end of the house and leave her alone. she will fly down to find us. Hermes is more dependent on human contact, and likes to have a cuddle, but he begs endlessly when I've got him on me (but won't accept formula when it's offered), and after a while he has a serious go at fingers or ears then wanders off. I can't quite work out what it is he wants. They do play with their toys but they don't put much effort into it and they never play for long. Most of their time is spent sitting quietly on the play frame.

They're only just weaned so still very young, but I must admit to being somewhat disappointed with both of them. I think we have been a bit spoilt by having raised our sun conure a few months ago. He's such a full-on, inquisitive, destructive, cuddly teddy bear that now it doesn't seem like enough to have a bird that just sits quietly beside me!

Are they likely to change over time (and I'm not talking about bluffing - I think I'm prepared for that) or is this a taste of their true personalities?
ellieelectrons

Re: Personality in young birds?

Post by ellieelectrons »

In my experience, their personalities do change a fair amount as they get older especially regarding inquisitiveness.

Ell.
tripledeke

Re: Personality in young birds?

Post by tripledeke »

They both sound adorable as anything, and I can totally understand with 'being disappointed somewhat',
Having lost a cheeky cuddly inquisitive and as we all seen how destructive they can be, n they can have a somewhat attitude of 'What's mine is mine, & what is your is mine, & what isn't mine I'll destroy'.

Having gone from a very out-there IRN to a snobby, unloving bird or more like 'yuck, get away from me' bird I totally miss it.

If they are really that young then their probably just sleeping or waiting for you to leave the room\turn your back.
Annoyingly my first IRN wouldn't even wait for me to turn my back, anything shiny was deadly.

Ok I've rambled on here, hope the two little ones have come a lot better and somewhat cheekier.