Adding a Baby Ringneck as a partner?

Moderator: Mods

Faaria

Adding a Baby Ringneck as a partner?

Post by Faaria »

Hi everyone,

I have a female IRN of 8 years, and I have been considering the possibility of getting her a partner, or a friend I should say really. She lives in the cage with a male budgie of 7 years, and they are friends.

I have read that with getting a partner, I should avoid getting a female as there can be aggression. Is this true? And if so, would it be recommended to do a DNA test on babies beforehand? And is the idea of getting her a partner a good idea, and a baby as opposed to a male cock?
I just think that it cruel not to allow her to have a partner if the possibility does indeed exist.

In the years that I have had her, I had also hand-reared a Glossy Black Starling and a baby cockatiel has lived with her when she was a baby, and later my budgie as well. So she has had a history with other birds, so to speak.

Although I dont want to take the risk of upsetting her by getting another baby. Is it bad idea to get a baby? And... I was thinking of the possibility of a Lutino. Would that be an issue since she is a turquiose blue? Does the fact that the budgie is green and yellow perhaps affect the inclination of her warming up to a bird of either of those colour mutations?

I realise that these are a lot of questions, but I am worried if something had to go wrong.

And I just wanted to say.... Thank you very much to everyone in advance :D
Melika

Re: Adding a Baby Ringneck as a partner?

Post by Melika »

I suppose I am wondering, because she seems happy as she is, why do you feel she needs an IRN partner? Can you be her partner? Isn't the budgie her partner?

As far as actually getting another bird, it appears you have done your research. She may or may not accept another IRN with her. In fact, the new IRN might not like HER when it matures! Birds are quirky and have minds of their own. I would also worry about the budgie's safety if a new bird is introduced to the same cage.
I've been called 'birdbrained' before, but somehow I don't think this is what they meant. say:hah-nay