Dog deterrent pellet additives? (ex. cayenne powder)

Moderator: Mods

PythonzEve

Dog deterrent pellet additives? (ex. cayenne powder)

Post by PythonzEve »

Hey, I was wondering about dry edible items I could add to Sukha's pelleted food that are detestable in smell and taste to dogs. I have Sukha's food in a locking Tupperware where there are bars that slide and lock over the lid. I have this placed in a cloth organizing tote/drawer thing which is behind our shoe shelf and between a wall and the tote holding Sukha's water, which they can't move. STILL they keep getting into his food and making messes and costing me money because I have to get MORE food!!! :x They've done it several times now and other than putting a chair on it's front and sliding it under the cage and over the bin/tote nothing has stopped them! I've put things on top of the Tupperware and put open canisters of cayenne pepper inside, and on top of the Tupperware and they just get them off, then open it up. This is getting REALLY annoying and I wanted to know what I can add to the dry food (can I straight up mix the pellets with cayenne pepper? They don't like the smell or taste) to deter them from bothering it. Oh BTW I have large dogs so I'd have to move it up high and the only space I have is in the kitchen which is far from the cage which is a pain. I would like to keep it in the same place and them not bother it. They don't touch it when I'm around but one of my dogs can get out of containment when we're gone and is ripping the tote to shreds and eating the food.

Thanks in advance!
Jessica

If one refuses to learn and maintains a closed mind, one is thus trapped from the procession of life in their own archaic self-imprisonment. -Jessica McNeely

Because my Rice Crispies told me to! -Unknown

dean_harryman

Re: Dog deterrent pellet additives? (ex. cayenne powder)

Post by dean_harryman »

Mixing cayenne wouldn't hurt the bird, but it might hurt the dog. unfortunately you probably have little choice but to move it to where they cannot reach it, because I have the feeling that they would probably make a mess of it just for fun, even if they cannot eat it.

I know my dog will eat anything the bird drops, jalapenos, and Serrano peppers included, so I don't know if my dog is just stupid (most likely) or if it just doesn't bother them?
Melika

Post by Melika »

Two words. Mouse traps.

It will be a pain to have to set them up all the time for a while, but might be worth your sanity.
I've been called 'birdbrained' before, but somehow I don't think this is what they meant. say:hah-nay
PythonzEve

Post by PythonzEve »

Hmmm, mouse traps would be an idea I suppose, maybe the loud snap alone of it closing would be deterrent enough. I have Dobermans so it should do any real harm... Thanks, I may try that :o)
Jessica

If one refuses to learn and maintains a closed mind, one is thus trapped from the procession of life in their own archaic self-imprisonment. -Jessica McNeely

Because my Rice Crispies told me to! -Unknown