Is Macadamia Safe Perch Wood?

Moderator: Mods

Shrek&Fiona

Is Macadamia Safe Perch Wood?

Post by Shrek&Fiona »

My new aviary came with two perches but I would rather just make my own because I don't know what used to be in the aviary and I don't really want to risk it with wood. My question is, does anyone know about branches from a macadamia nut tree as perch wood? We have two macadamia trees in our yard and one recently had a branch fall from it. I have searched the net but none of the lists mention the macadamia tree in either safe or toxic. Who has used this before or heard to stay away from it?
If vision is the only validation then most of my life isn't real.
Melika

Re: Is Macadamia Safe Perch Wood?

Post by Melika »

I am also not finding anything saying it is toxic. The only toxicity in macadamia I can find is in the nuts from select species, nothing parrot specific.

I would imagine the wood is fine to use, I know it is used in some furniture/woodworking and I have seen it used in making bowls.
I've been called 'birdbrained' before, but somehow I don't think this is what they meant. say:hah-nay
Shrek&Fiona

Re: Is Macadamia Safe Perch Wood?

Post by Shrek&Fiona »

Thanx. I kinda thought it would be ok cause we have the local parrots coming around chewing on it all the time. I just want to be very sure before I put things in the aviary. It's funny when you are setting up a cage you start to remember all the things u need that you forgot u needed. So many little things, but I love having all this space to set up in. It's just so awesome to be able to use all those toys I have bought but haven't had the space to use becuase Shrek's cage was too small for them. He is going to look tiny in it when I finally put him in there. It's so exciting though knowing I'm providing him with a much bigger, more stimulating and just generally better environment! And I can't wait till I get my new little female to introduce to him! All so exciting.
If vision is the only validation then most of my life isn't real.