Bitting new bird

Moderator: Mods

nanfan05

Bitting new bird

Post by nanfan05 »

I just got an Indian ringneck parrot yesterday and he wasnt very well taken care of. The children at his last home aggravated him very much and now he bites. He seems scared too which I would be too if someone threw shoes at my cage :evil: when I made a little bit of noise. I would just like some help as to what treats these birds like and what is a good way to bond with my new bird. He is a year and a half. and I am hoping to help him. I relly like the birds I have and he seems like he would be a great addition if he would only venture out of his cage and be able to have some fun. Please if anybody knows how they can help feel free to email me at
skillet_fan05@yahoo.com

Thank you very much!!!
jj

Post by jj »

This will be quite a challenge, but worth it! First he must get really used to his (new?) cage and house. Don't go near him yet if it disturbs him. When he is calm with you in the room start going nearer his cage. When he accepts you near his cage you can start the treats. It might be a favorite fruit or nut, but give it to him from outside the cage, talk softly and give him praise. Do this for as long as it takes. All this will take some weeks, depending on how frightened he is. When he accepts treats eagerly, it's time to offer through the open door without sticking your hand in. When he allows your hand in (and always talk a bit before and while you slowly put your hand in his cage. After a while you can start the 'step up' training. Go slow and Good Luck!
jj
[/i]