A question about perches.

Moderator: Mods

LiveWire

A question about perches.

Post by LiveWire »

I was just wondering what everyone's thoughts were when it comes to perches that help keep the nails trimmed.

What do you all think is the safest/best? I know some are very bad for their feet (the plastic ones with sand and the sandpaper covers) :( but are there good ones?

Tooty Fruity Bee Pollen Perches?
Pedi-Perch Cement Bird Perches?
Polly's Small Cuttlebone Calcium Perches?
Something else?

I plan to use different types of perches including a Cholla cactus perch for foraging, but one nail trimming one would be great. Less trips to the groomer, less stress for Naboo.

Oh and I am making a parrot tree out of Ash wood. I should wash the wood with a mixture of water and bleach then let it dry in the sun right? Should I sand the bark off of it first?

Thank you!
ellieelectrons

Re: A question about perches.

Post by ellieelectrons »

Thick, natural tree branches are good for keeping nails down... also, I have a cement swing that works reasonably well and they like it. I've heard that bottlebrush trees are excellent for perches and gyms... however, I don't have access to this myself.

When it comes to cleaning I rinse natural branches under the shower (if they're really big) and I use bird-safe disinfectant (from avicultural supply store / pet store) to wipe it down.

Ellie.