Safest way to introduce the birdies ^_^

Moderator: Mods

MallyKat

Safest way to introduce the birdies ^_^

Post by MallyKat »

I have a green cock and an albino hen. They are currently caged seperately and I'm wondering what the safest way to introduce them would be. The cock is rather skittish and the hen loves me; aslong as i dont try to touch her lol she becomes quite snappy. I'm wondering if i introduce them and they become violent with one another how can i safely remove one without injuring or over stressing them (or me! lol).

It will be a little while before I try to introduce them, just trying to do a little research so I may take the correct and safest precautions for my birds :)
lewi111

Re: Safest way to introduce the birdies ^_^

Post by lewi111 »

Hi---I always place the Cock bird in the Aviary first---leave him a few days then introduce the hen.
The reason being that the Cock bird is less territorial than hen.
Its what Ive always done and havnt had any problems so far.
ellieelectrons

Post by ellieelectrons »

MallyKat

Are you wanting them to breed or just be company for each other? Will they be living in an aviary situation or having a lot of out-of-cage time as companion birds?

If they are going to remain companion birds (rather than birds kept in an aviary) then you can start by introducing them to each other outside of the cage.

You've done the right thing keeping them separate to start with. You can try moving their cages side by side and see how they get along then too.

I remember writing a post on this a while ago about how I introduced Janey and Charlie to each other.... you might like to search the forums to find it.

One thing I will say is I had it all planned out.... but sometimes they have other ideas. We had Janey first and we bought Charlie a year later. Janey was in the big cage and when we first brought Charlie home he was living in their "holiday" cage. From the moment Charlie got out of the "holiday" cage he was fixated on the big cage and would fly onto it and it would be really hard to get him off.... I think sometimes it freaked Janey out (as she was in the cage at the time).... but eventually, I felt that they were getting along well enough to let them try cohabitating. I did it at the start of a weekend so that I could be home to check on them when I did it. They've been cohabitating ever since.... and whilst they squabble a bit, they seem to get along ok. They've never injured each other or anything.

Best wishes and good luck!

Ellie.
MallyKat

Post by MallyKat »

Thanks guys, ideas for me to consider :)

ellieelectrons: They will be aviary birds...I considered taming Tempe but she's viscious when you try touch her...However I purchased her originally to be a mate for Sano so that's still the plan :)

I'm currently trying to track down a small aviary for the two of them to live in, I've tried putting the cages together and they don't bicker or anything. Also, there's the possibilty that Tempe is a male?
ellieelectrons

Post by ellieelectrons »

Perhaps you could keep their cages together until you get the aviary. They can try cohabitating the day you get the new aviary? That way it's no-one's territory from the beginning.

Ellie.
MallyKat

Post by MallyKat »

Thanks Ellie!

Good news all, I posted on my facebook page that I was looking for an aviary sized cage...Who said Facebook is all bad lol! My neighbour came running over saying he had a 1mx1m and 2m (ish) tall cage he was going to dump...So he gave it to me :D It's in great condition. Bit of rust on the bottom frame but my boyfriend is going to help me tidy it all up so it's rust free and completely bird safe, before putting them in there. We're also Going to make a stand for it, so that I can flip it on the side instead so the IRN's can have 2m of flight spacce rather than 2m height.

Right now the cages are beside one another, no flirting but no fighting either, so that's a good sign! Will post photos soon of the cage :)
MallyKat

Post by MallyKat »

I had to introduce the IRNS a little earlier than intended. Tempe managed to poke her head through the cage bars of her cage so to avoid injury i put her in with Sano. They've been together a week or so maybe? And she still wont let him go near her. How long is too long for them to not get along? She doesnt chase him down in the cage, she just snaps at him if he goes too close.

Will this continue or is it possible they will bond?