Baby pipped externally, could it be stuck?

Moderator: Mods

lovemybirds

Baby pipped externally, could it be stuck?

Post by lovemybirds »

I checked nest box yesterday morning (almost 24hrs ago), and found the last egg had a small hole in it, and could see the little baby in there. I checked again last night and the hole was a little bit bigger, the egg was slightly broken just underneath the hole too, but the baby doesn't seem to have moved in position at all. :? I thought they were supposed to pip around the egg and then break out??

I checked again this morning and the top part of the egg has come off, but the baby is still in the same position. I can tell by where the egg was slightly broken last night. I'm unsure whether to just leave it to nature, or what?? Is it even possible for a baby bird to get stuck in half the shell?

Your insight or guidance would be much appreciated. Thanks!! :)
SCB -SA

Re: Baby pipped externally, could it be stuck?

Post by SCB -SA »

Hey how did things go? did it break completely free from the egg? let us all know :) hope its okay, sorry didnt have any advice to give, never heard of that, although have heard it is better to let nature run its course, coz even if you do help them out the egg, usually they are not strong enough to survive
lovemybirds

Post by lovemybirds »

No, it didn't break free from the egg on its own. :? I had to give it help. Luckily, with the help of Google, I found some pics of a Cockatiel stuck in an egg & it looked exactly the same. The membranes had dried out & it was stuck to bubs skin, no way it would have survived. :( After more research, I gently peeled back some of the egg, and the baby did the rest for itself.

It is now doing well & Mum is feeding it happily. :D Very happy with the outcome. :lol:
SCB -SA

Post by SCB -SA »

aaah i am so glad to hear that, sorry no one here had advice to offer, lucky for Google! You must post some pics of bubs when you get a chance!
ellieelectrons

Post by ellieelectrons »

I'm glad it worked out... I tried to post a reply but my internet connection went down!

My cousin used to sometimes help ducklings out of the egg... but she did it very carefully... and these ducklings lived normal lives.... so hopefully your little guy will too.

Well done!

Ellie.