cage size

Moderator: Mods

Louie

cage size

Post by Louie »

I need to get a new cage for my IRN and was wondering if 53cm by 53cm by 70cm high is a good size?? Thaks for any help :)
I currently own: 1 male, green Indian Ringneck, 1 Labrador Retriever, 1 Mini Lop rabbit and 4 backyard chickens (silkies)
ImageImageImage
Poppy

Re: cage size

Post by Poppy »

Always remember that even though a smaller cage may be sufficient for your bird, you as an owner should buy the biggest cage that your finances allow for, for the welfare of your bird. I have a small play cage for mine but she lives out 90% of the time and only sleeps in her cage at night so i can cover her up.

We think caged birds sing, when indeed they cry...
Louie

Post by Louie »

I currently have a really big cage for him but my mum wants me to downsize because the cage can't fit anywhere else in our house except for in my bedroom and my mum doesn't like him being in my room because she reckons his cage smells and it is unhealthy (I clean his cage every 2-3 days so I don't know how it could smell!!). Would the cage size previously mentioned be sufficient?? I would then have a play gym for him so he can come out whenever we are home. (which he already does anyway!!) Thanks
I currently own: 1 male, green Indian Ringneck, 1 Labrador Retriever, 1 Mini Lop rabbit and 4 backyard chickens (silkies)
ImageImageImage
Louie

Post by Louie »

Thanks for your reply Poppy. The cage I have is really big and it makes him look like a little green speck lol!! I spoke to mum about getting a new cage (a smaller one) and she said that I can keep my big one if I want to but it has to move into the spare room and only come into my room when we have visitors(which isn't very often). She also said that I can build Louie a playgym to go in my bedroom so he can play on it when I am in my room. I am still at school so he spends a fair bit of time in his cage, that is why I got him a really big one in the first place. I always have him out with me as much as I can and he comes up to town with us as well which he enjoys!! I really wanna post a pic lol but I can't figure out how??
ImageImageImage
Melika

Post by Melika »

I wonder if she's just smelling the musky birdy smell?

Great that you can keep his big cage!

How to post pictures: http://www.indianringneck.com/forum/vie ... f=4&t=7882
I've been called 'birdbrained' before, but somehow I don't think this is what they meant. say:hah-nay
Louie

Post by Louie »

Thanks Melika. I did figure out how to post pics but they are way too big when I paste the code and I cant figure out how to make them smaller ??????
ImageImageImage
Melika

Post by Melika »

You can resize them using photobucket or your Paint program first.

I am looking for a good place to get silkies, where did you get yours?
I've been called 'birdbrained' before, but somehow I don't think this is what they meant. say:hah-nay
Louie

Post by Louie »

I got mine from some friends who breed them but I live in Australia so I don't think I can help you, sorry. Maybe try looking up a Silkie/poultry club in your area and contact them.
ImageImageImage
Melika

Post by Melika »

Um yeah that's a bit far. :lol: We have some good breeders here, and I managed to go to a chicken swap to meet some chicken people and get an idea of what is local. Thank you though.