What could be happening to my baby ringnecks?

Moderator: Mods

rod038

What could be happening to my baby ringnecks?

Post by rod038 »

I have 3 pairs of Ringnecks in 3 seperate suspended cages.

The first pair laid 5 eggs and have raised 5 babies, all of which are feathered now.

The second pair were a month behind in laying but layed 4 eggs and the first 2 to hatch just vanished out the box, egg shells and all. The third one hatched and lasted a few days but I found its half eaten body in the box this morning. The fourth egg went cold and was dead in shell.

The third pair laid 4 eggs and yesterday 2 hatched but this morning both were dead in the box and looked like they were also chewed up. They still have 2 eggs to hatch.

Could it be mice or rats? I cant see how a rat could get in and there are no droppings in the box or around the cages I can see.

At first I thought it may of been the parents but to have the same thing happen in another cage is too much of a coincidence I think.
ellieelectrons

Re: What could be happening to my baby ringnecks?

Post by ellieelectrons »

Snakes? Are the parents showing any signs of distress or injury?

Where are you from? Knowing that could help people narrow down what it is.

Ellie.
rod038

Post by rod038 »

Hello. Im in Bathurst NSW.
rod038

Post by rod038 »

The parents are fine they are eating as normal and dont look any different.
ellieelectrons

Post by ellieelectrons »

It could be lizards? I don't think a snake would leave half a bird - it would probably either eat the whole thing if it was going to eat it at all.

I know the lizards seemed to reappear on the scene about a month ago here in Qld, so I'm guessing the timing would be similar down your way.... and if they've been hibernating (i think that's what reptiles do), then they are probably mighty hungry about now.

I'm so sorry to hear about these babies. It's really horrible.

Ellie.
dog_glenn123

Post by dog_glenn123 »

There arent any blood on the feathers of either of the parents?

I havent had it happen with IRN's but when i bread budgies years ago it did happen with the parents killing the young.

My guess would be mice but! set a trap n see if you catch something.

Thanks Glenn
rod038

Post by rod038 »

Thanks for the replies.

I have never seen any lizards around here. I dont think it would be lizards or snakes.

No blood on any parents and one of the hens is white so it would stand out I guess.

I have put some baits done and I might set a few traps for tonight and see what happens.

The babies were like shredded and covered in the saw dust from the nest box. There wasnt alot of blood.

I have a few more eggs about to hatch so I want to find out what happened.

I was away when the first babies hatched and had someone looking after them. They said they thought there were 2 babies but then they said it may have only been one, they werent sure. When I got home there was 1 baby and 1 egg and the other 2 eggs gone. No hatched egg shells in box. I thought it was strange but didnt worry about it. Now this has happend a week later. So I think 2 chicks hatched and were taken. Another chick hatched later and lasted a few days then was killed.

With the other box the 2 chicks just hatched yesterday and the hatched shells were still in the box with 2 remaining eggs. I didnt know they had hatched till I found there bodies this morning.
dog_glenn123

Post by dog_glenn123 »

How old are the parents? Sometimes if the parents are young they freak out a bit at the new babies.

One of my pairs this year (1st time breeding) the male is only 11 months old, after the 1st egg was laid he threw it out of the box. i will be interested to see what happens when/if they hatch.

Thanks Glenn
rod038

Post by rod038 »

The 1st pair is a 12 month old hen and a 3 year old cock. The cock has bred before.

The second pair is a 2 year old hen (1st time) and an 8 year old cock that has bred before.

It just seems strange that it all happend in both nest boxes in seperate cages on the same night.
julie

Post by julie »

I had eggs go missing from the nesting box last year, it was mice getting in. I put vaseline everywhere they could possibly get to and saved the last egg. vaseline made it too slippery for the little buggers to walk on.