Cage sizing for an Alexandrine?

Moderator: Mods

Alibaby

Cage sizing for an Alexandrine?

Post by Alibaby »

Looking into buying a cage for my Alexandrine (which I should have in about a month). Got three cage options at the moment, and the dimensions are all different. Just wondering which you think would be best:

Option one: 82(H)x 82(L)x60(W)cm
Option two: 141(H) x 78(L) x 57(W)cm
Option three: 182(H) x 92(L) x 76(W)cm

I'm guessing option three would be the best, but it may be too big for my room. Are the smaller sizes big enough without being cruel?
Melika

Re: Cage sizing for an Alexandrine?

Post by Melika »

A lot of it is going to depend on how long your alex will be spending inside its cage. If he/she isn't in there too many hours, is that going to change in the future? After you put toys in, will there still be enough room? Toys take up a lot of space.

First option is too small, in my opinion. It is far too short and with toys will be tiny.

The second option is nearly as big as the cage my IRN is in. With toys, I consider this to be the minimum size for my IRN. But some days Hane doesn't get to come out, or only comes out for a few hours. He has two playstands outside his cage for when he can come out. So he needs the 'extra' space and lots of toys to help keep him occupied. It was also the biggest I could afford and still have money for toys. I imagine an alex can live in it just fine if it isn't for the whole day.

Third cage sounds heavenly! Why not measure out your space and see if it fits? Put painters tape on the carpet or tape newspaper/cardboard together into a footprint- add a few inches around if the cage has a seed skirt and you plan on using it. Bigger is always better for cages. You don't want that lovely tail bent from being in too small a cage. :)
I've been called 'birdbrained' before, but somehow I don't think this is what they meant. say:hah-nay