Sexing a baby ringneck

Moderator: Mods

Dj tweet

Sexing a baby ringneck

Post by Dj tweet »

Hi all looking at getting a baby ring neck to hand raise at current the babies are still in the nest I would like to get a male but it's near impossible to tell at this age
is there any things I can look for that may help give an idea
eg larger beak or wings
longer tail feathers
wider head etc etc
ellieelectrons

Re: Sexing a baby ringneck

Post by ellieelectrons »

To the best of my knowledge, all you can do is get a DNA test done... and I'm not sure on how old they have to be before they can get one done.

Regards

Ellie.
Dj tweet

Post by Dj tweet »

You can do DNA via clipping the toe nails correct ?
Could this not be done at a young age ?
julie

Post by julie »

there is certain mutations that can have sex linked babies. are you able to find out what color the chics are and what color the parents are?

It is hard for breeders to pay for dna testing on all the babies, if you are willing to pay for the test to be done a breeder may do it for you.
PythonzEve

Post by PythonzEve »

You can go to Biotech or Animal Genetics Incorperated (which is the one I'm using) and get DNA tested from the egg shell, blood or feathers.

The only thing about clipping the nail too short is it can traumatize the bird from being touched, held or nail clipping. Plucking feathers will hurt a bit as well, molted feathers don't give quite as much DNA, but if you could find a breeder before the chick is born and get an egg shell this is the least invasive way, and because chicks hatch on different days it is generally fairly easy to tell which bird is from which egg as long as the breeder keeps an eye on their clutches, which they should.
Jessica

If one refuses to learn and maintains a closed mind, one is thus trapped from the procession of life in their own archaic self-imprisonment. -Jessica McNeely

Because my Rice Crispies told me to! -Unknown