Getting my first IRN in a few days, need advice please

Moderator: Mods

Jen144

Getting my first IRN in a few days, need advice please

Post by Jen144 »

Hi all.

I've been researching for a while now and I've decided to get an Indian Ringneck parrot. He's arriving on Tuesday, so I'm hurrying to get some last minute advice from people before he arrives!
Bad thing is, he (I'm just calling it a 'he', we don't know the sex yet) is a year old aviary-bred bird!! I wanted a tame one, so I'm going to try to tame him. From all I've read, trying it with this bird is going to be very hard (and painful, with those big beaks lol) or even impossible! But I'm willing to try, so I really need some advice in that area.

I've owned finches, quail, lovebirds, budgies, and cockatiels..and currently own 8 budgies, 2 cockatiels and 4 finches. I've had years of experience with owning, breeding (and handrearing) and taming all of those, all of whom are from different backgrounds..anywhere from a handreared baby, to a 3 year old wild aviary-bred adult. And successfully tamed them all, albeit to varying degrees lol.
So I'm not a complete newbie. But I've never owned any parrot larger than a cockatiel so this new venture into getting an IRN is very exciting!

I need any advice possible, PLEASE! What should I expect with him when he gets here, how long may it take to get him tamed (if at all), how different are they from tiels and in what ways? If (after I try for a few months or more) he doesn't tame, can I put him safely in the aviary with the budgies and tiels, or shouldn't they mix? How long each day should I spend with him?

Sorry this is rather vague but I just need any advice experienced IRN owners can give me. Thank you. :)
pinkdevil

Re: Getting my first IRN in a few days, need advice please

Post by pinkdevil »

I can't give any advice on taming an aviary bird as I have not done this. But there are a few people on here who have done so and posted. If you do a search you should find what people have said and tried. :)

If you do choose to place him in an aviary in the end, I would advise housing him with other birds, especially budgies and tiels.
Even with their own kind, they can be quite vicious when they want to be.
ellieelectrons

Post by ellieelectrons »

Hi Pinkdevil

Was that a typo in your previous message?
pinkdevil wrote:I would advise housing him with other birds, especially budgies and tiels.
Should that be "I would not(?) advise housing him with other birds????

Ellie.
miami

Post by miami »

clicker train, research it, i wrote out a massive essay but it got deleted lol so im writing it short now, but i been through the worst with a wild parrot and now its very tame so any questions at all message me. all im saying clicker train and dont expect results for 3-4 weeks. if you need advice on technqiue message me.