New baby isn't eating well...

Moderator: Mods

Celithemis

New baby isn't eating well...

Post by Celithemis »

I recently (Tuesday, June 1st) purchased a baby indian ringneck, not sure of the exact age but the breeder said he was newly weaned. I already have another ringenck, a 2 yr old that we believe to be a female. The intoductions between them went amazingly well and they get along great. For the first few days, our new baby "Mauser" followed our other bird around and ate everything she ate. He was eating corn, apples, carrots, and some nuts and seeds really well. Now he won't eat anything, he bobs his head and cries, and will only eat sunflower seeds that I shell for him. I couldn't even get him to eat sweet potato mash, even though he saw the other bird eating it.

How can I get him eating again?

EDIT: I forgot to add, he sleeps a lot, way more than our other ring neck, and I don`t know if that is normal for babies, as we got our current bird when she was a bit older already, around a year old. Also, is there a way to tell if they are dehydrated, because I haven`t seen him drink from the water dish, and I don`t know if he is doing it while I`m not looking or if he doesn`t know how to use it.

Thanks!
julie

Re: New baby isn't eating well...

Post by julie »

are you able to get some hand rearing formula and some utensils to give him some top up feeds?? also try giving him some mashed food by holding the food in your fingers and coming over the top of his beak to imitate a hen feeding a baby. He may be a bit young still and needs some more time to wean properly. Baby food such as stewed apples ect is good too if youdontwantto get hand rearing formula.