Benefits of Grey

Moderator: Mods

TikkaLu

Benefits of Grey

Post by TikkaLu »

What are the benefits of having a grey (male) as part of a breeding program? Any recommendations as to the best pairing with a grey male? Currently I have him with an albino hen which I believe will produce grey and blue birds (someone correct me if I'm wrong). They are on eggs now so I guess we will soon find out.
dog_glenn123

Re: Benefits of Grey

Post by dog_glenn123 »

Hi Tikkalu.
I dont know of the benefits of having a grey ringneck i suppose it depends on what you want to get with your baby's.
You will get both blue and grey male and female birds and the males will be split to ino.
It also depends on how much you want to spend as to what you would like to pair him with i think violets are nice but it is personnle prefence.
This link goes to a calculator that will help you decide what to pair him with. http://www.gencalc.com/#
I have a grey hen and she is paired to a blue cinnimon, he is still to young to breed but hopefully next season will get some nice babies.

Thanks Glenn
TikkaLu

Post by TikkaLu »

Glenn, thanks for the reply. I guess my concern is that the grey color will not sell well (although my male is quite striking) in the pet trade. Also that it is such a dominant color. I do use the genetics calculator frequently I get caught up messing with all the different combos, great tool. I too have a cinnamon blue, but a female, and she is a pet. Absolutely beatuiful (she is actually, Tikka :). It sounds like you have your cin. blue and grey paired well, you sould get cin. blues and silvers out of that pairing!
dog_glenn123

Post by dog_glenn123 »

Yer i too had the same concerns when i got my grey because when i got her i didnt know they where dominant colour.
I also have another pair which is a green /blue ino cock and a pastel blue lacewing (rainbow)hen and honestly she is the nicest looking bird i have ever seen. :D better then most other mutations.
I hope to get a creamino hen from them.
Once you get the nhang of the gencalc and you figure out what do it gets easier.
TikkaLu

Post by TikkaLu »

That's funny I have a creamino which was sold to me as a young male but is acting a lot like a female these days. I am going to get it 're'sexed this week. I may have lucked out if it is a female b/c I have a male turq paired with a lacewing hen(a pairing which I'm not too excited about) so I may put the creamino and turq together. Oh and the male turq should be split to ino since his mother was an albino. Good luck with yours and cross your fingers that I end up with a female rather than a male creamino.
dog_glenn123

Post by dog_glenn123 »

It really does suck when people tell you a lie when selling you a bird (male,female or what the are split too). :evil:
I will keep my fingers crossed for but if you get a male plenty of people like creamino's so you wont have a problem selling him.
TikkaLu

Post by TikkaLu »

Not to worry, if the creamino does turn out to be a male I will still put it to good use!
dog_glenn123

Post by dog_glenn123 »

Sound like you have a few birds too :P
Are you on your lunch break too?
smallworld

Post by smallworld »

Hey is that genetic calculator you use an online one? Could you give me the link please? I've been trying to find a reliable one. :idea:
TikkaLu

Post by TikkaLu »

Yes, it's online. Here's the link to the home page (also calcs for other birds) http://www.gencalc.com/. On the left hand side in the yellow box find Psittacula Parrots click on that and you should find the cal for ringnecks. Have fun, it's a little tricky at first but once you get used to it, it's a blast.
smallworld

Post by smallworld »

Fantastic! Thanks alot :)
TikkaLu

Post by TikkaLu »

Ha, I was looking back and found that the lady I bought the creamino from gave me the color of it's parents... a turq male and blue female, therefore it has to be a female creamino! (unless she gave me the wrong parent info of course)
dog_glenn123

Post by dog_glenn123 »

Very good but its father must have been split ino.
Either way they are nice looking birds.
TikkaLu

Post by TikkaLu »

Correct and the only way they could have produced a creamino bird. Here 'she' is...
pinkdevil

Post by pinkdevil »

S/he is beautiful. :)
smallworld

Post by smallworld »

Nice bird. Very lady like :wink:
dog_glenn123

Post by dog_glenn123 »

She is very nice, see with birds that look like that who needs grey! :mrgreen: