new parakeet not hand reared please help

Moderator: Mods

dangerous

new parakeet not hand reared please help

Post by dangerous »

we have had joey now for 3 weeks he is not hand reared and we are struggling to get near him any tips would be gratefully recieved
Jodie

questions

Post by Jodie »

Hi,
It would be nice to know exactly how old your ringneck is. If it is coming from a breeder situation it will take lots of time. If the bird is parent raised, it can still be a good pet. I am not sure what problems you are having, you did not give good details. Best advice, clip its wings, handle it daily (If it bites, get a nice thick welder type glove for it to bite instead of you. Eventually, it will get used to the idea), try to be consistent on what you say and speak clearly, spend time with it and give it treats. If he will not come out of the cage, leave it open. It eventually will come out of the cage on it's own. I would first make sure its wings are clipped before you offer freedom. But with time, patience and a nice thick glove, your bird will be more handable! Hope this helps!
indian ringneck

Post by indian ringneck »

I agree with Jodie.
:idea: Parent-reared birds can still make good pets, but if he/she was in a breeding situation and has bonded to another bird, the chances are it'll be taking a long time.

Kiki was handreared and was adopted by another lady. The lady abused her by keeping her in an outdoor cage and leaving her there with only seed. :!: >> Seed is not a sufficient diet for a parrot and diets must be supplemented with other foods such as apples, broccolli and other greens and veggies. ] She also didn't clean Kiki's cage AT ALL. When I came there, the cage was piled up at the bottom with feces, old seed husks, and other stuff. The lady kept her in these conditions for quite some time and then posted an add in the local newspaper to sell her. I saw the add at $60 including cage and all so I decided to purchase Kiki. When I came there I put my finger through the railling and she came closer but didn't bite me. Kiki is now ever so tame and cuddles up with me as close to my body as possible. She lays in the palm of my hand fully-trusting me ( http://members.dodo.com.au/~johanp/Album%20Page%204.htm ). Kiki truly is very tame as I can touch her anywhere on her body with her complete trust to me. She was handreared but because of all the deserting the lady did to her I don't think that handrearing could have made a difference. :idea: The difference was only made through my love, paitience, and persistence in taming her. And i'm telling you, it took me almost a year. Kiki's hatchday is in May 24 so she will soon be 3 years old. I acquired her on 2 & 1/2 to give you an idea.

:arrow: Remember, every bird is an individual and will be tamed at his/her own pace. Just be paitient, persistent, and have love. Also, don't give up, your bird will soon come round.

:?: We need a little more background of your bird. Please tell us a few more thing such as:
1. Was the bird in a breeding situation with other birds?
2. Was the bird previously bonded to another bird?
3. How long ago was the bird in a breeding situation?

:idea: My personal opinion: I don't use gloves to tame our birds as once they are tamed they just bite your hands when you take them off as they know that you can only resist their bites with a glove on. An Indian Ringneck is a small bird, and their bites are not at all that hard. (This is how I feel of it, but there are many opinions on this factor).