FEATHER PLUCKING BIRD

Moderator: Mods

wayne

FEATHER PLUCKING BIRD

Post by wayne »

HI I HAVE A 5 YO RINGNECK WHO IS A GREAT TALKER HE HAS OVER 50 WORDS AND PHRASES HE LIKES TO USE AND LOVES TO PLAY ANYTHING
AND LAUGHS OUT LOUD WHISTLES ALL THE TIME,HE TALKS AS CLEAR AS A BELL IT REALLY AMAZES PEOPLE TO HEAR HIM.BUT HE'S GOT WHERE HE LIKES TO PICK HIS FEATHERS I HAVE TRYED ABOUT ALL I KNOW ANY HELP WOULD BE GREAT THANKS
Mikaela

Post by Mikaela »

Is he bored? He needs to be handled daily. Have there been any new stress factors added to his environment?

Can you post us a pic?

What does his diet consist of? They cant live on pellets and seed alone.

Welcome, Im sure we can try to get to the bottom of this and hopefully get him to stop.

He sounds wonderful!
~ Mikaela Sky

wayne

feather plucking

Post by wayne »

my bird has a full headdress and neck,he's been to the vet for a full check up and blood work can find nothing wrong.he eats seeds ,sweet potato's,
apples, oranges,all kind of fruit plus whatever i eat,i spray him down twice daily with aloe vera juice for his feathers and let him out of his cage alot.i also have a quaker and i let them kinda play together although i have to watch them.i don't know what the stress factor is about him picking his feathers,he is5 yo and at that time when he wants to mate because he trys to mate with ever thing he can get his hands on.do you think a girlfriend might help,or just spending more one on one time with him,i will try to upload a picture later thanks for the help
Mikaela

Post by Mikaela »

Let me move this over to the breeding forum.

Maybe he is 'frustrated' :roll:
~ Mikaela Sky

birdman5000

Post by birdman5000 »

try using bitter apple its a spray you can get at most pet stores or supply store or vet office

almost all animals hate the taste of it i know a store owner who used it to stop his amazon parrot to stop plucking

the twice a day bathing might be over doing it too
mkmagu

Re: feather plucking

Post by mkmagu »

wayne wrote:my bird has a full headdress and neck,he's been to the vet for a full check up and blood work can find nothing wrong.he eats seeds ,sweet potato's,

Take him off the sweet potatos ASAP it can cause feather picking. I would also suggest treating him for Giardia which is also know for causing feather picking many times the Giardia test will come back negitive so most reccomend just treating for it since the treatment won't really hurt the bird.
Mary M
Neokireina

Post by Neokireina »

I heard somewhere that putting like a feather duster (not used of course) in their cage at least would encourage them to pluck that rather than themselves, also make sure he's got alot of toys and stimulation.