Introduction!

Let us know a little about yourself! Tell us about your birds and why you are here.

Moderator: Mods

moosepug

Introduction!

Post by moosepug »

Hello everyone!! My name is Alicia. My family and I are the proud new owners of an Olive green Indian ringneck! We've had him/her for almost 2 weeks now! Baby isn't completely weaned yet, but we are getting there I think. I am majorly stressing out on where to put her cage though...I live in a mobile home, so my kitchen and living room are one big room.. So I just don't know where to put her. I am so scared to cook with her in the room, because I have heard all sorts of horror stories about cooking odors, and fumes, etc.... I plan on getting rid of my non stick pans, but what about cookie sheets, cupcake pans etc....Anyhoo, I hope I can learn from everyone here about my baby, we are so excited to have her in our home!!
MissK

Re: Introduction!

Post by MissK »

Hi Alicia,

I was never a huge fan of nonstick pans, but I did banish the teflon coated waffle maker (it was a mother to clean anyway) and the nonstick griddle. Personally, I would either rehome all that stuff or make a pact with the bird to send it outside when you use those things. Maybe you can get a nostalgic cast iron fry pan. I learned to love mine. If your wallet is still reeling from the bird set-up expenses, hit the local thrift store for some stainless cookware. While we're on the subject, watch out for cleaning the oven as well. Also space heaters.

-MissK
-MissK
ellieelectrons

Post by ellieelectrons »

We replaced all of our every day non-stick cookware (fry pans and baking trays). We even returned a Christmas present last year from my mother-in-law that was a beautiful non-stick griddle fry pan.

Thought I'd share this from the Tefal website:
If the cookware is accidentally overheated, are there hazardous fumes?
Any material heated high enough will give off fumes. Fumes from overheated non-stick cookware do not adversely affect humans or household pets with the exception of birds. Since birds have particularly sensitive respiratory systems, they are susceptible to fumes in general. Cooks should observe good cooking practices and never allow cookware to overheat.

(http://www.tefal.com.au/tefal/Consumer_ ... F7C5AB}#q6)

Our birds are in our combined kitchen/dining room but are at the opposite end to the kitchen. I never cook on the hotplate when they are out of the cage and we always use the rangehood (exhaust fan) when we are cooking on the hotplate. We also endeavour to make sure windows and doors are open if we have any fumes when cooking.

Best wishes.

Ellie.
moosepug

Post by moosepug »

So what about frying potatoes or eggs in a stainless steel pan...Will those odors hurt our baby? I honestly haven't cooked in the two weeks we've had her, I'm so scared...Can I use my waffle maker if I put her in another room and open windows? And I can't use my space heater ever in the house? I use it to heat my taranutla room in the winter to keep it an even temp.....Eek!!
MissK

Post by MissK »

TARANTULA ROOM?!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I'll skip the house tour.

In seriousness, I think there is some flex in what and how much you can use these dangerous things. The catch is how will you know when you are about to cross the line into unsafe territory? I believe that when birds are harmed by overheating teflon, etc, they die a fast and bloody death, and there is little warning. Call me Little Miss Overprotective, but I felt the way to *ensure* this poisoning would not occur was to remove the source from the home as far as I could.

Did I keep a space heater? Yes. I did. I even used it briefly to keep BIRDS warm when the furnace went out in the dead of winter. I exercised caution and kept a close eye on the canaries. We all made it.

Do I still use the hair dryer or the curling or straightening irons? Yes. Two or three times a year, and I use them outside.

Overprotective, maybe, but the birds are alive and well. Here is a link I found for you. http://www.oldworldaviaries.com/text/styles/teflon.html

Best wishes.
-MissK
-MissK