Post by Farzz1 »

Hi
I have some pics I would like to post can anybody help post them,
Mauve bird with the weirdest pattern on the wing
Many thanks
Farzz1

Re: What new mutation is this

Post by Farzz1 »

anybody can anybody help me post them ????
prodigy

Post by prodigy »

it will molt out
Farzz1

Post by Farzz1 »

Hi
Prog its 2years old and has not moulted out at all in fact it the bird has retained more of the partridge look

Molossus guava seriously you looked at that first eish
tks
Farzz1

Post by Farzz1 »

Prog
Just to reiterate it hasn’t moulted out but got a lot more refined and distinctive ,likewise has your partridge birds moulted same situation applied
Tks
Farzz1

Post by Farzz1 »

Hi
Molossus that was my thoughts as the bird also has a bit of cobalt grey look the father was a grey misty and a cinnamon that was green when born turned into a cinnamon green 2yrs ago she developed an edged look and this year after the moult she has a new look with scallops on her back. I have asked Madas to post the last years baby pic just as awesome, I agree I need to know more of the bird and how to retrieve more of the genetic make-up to transfer it to more mutations
Many thanks
prodigy

Post by prodigy »

these are from Nico Theunissen birds ?
Farzz1

Post by Farzz1 »

Hi
Defiantly no relationship to Nico Theunissen sorry, I never knew he existed until I found out we have a deep imposter apart from the imported ones :shock:
Tks
Farzz1

Post by Farzz1 »

Hi
Just another question does the Nico birds also does that? :lol: I.e. create partridge /grizzled looking birds? :lol: That can draw another question later however has anybody been familiar with such so they can point me in the right direction :idea:
Tks
Ring0Neck

Post by Ring0Neck »

Recessive Edged perhaps?
I've seen patterns like that on some turq. edged birds extending on it's back but not as detailed as yours.

Have you bred with this bird? did offspring get same pattern? i guess not
you could put back young to it & see if it is a recessive gene at work.
PS better still get one of the parents of this bird to test breed it.
Farzz1

Post by Farzz1 »

Hi
Ringoneck,
Your guess is as good as mine. however would recessive edge require two of the same birds to produce the partridge /grizzle /rec edge bird pic in question? If you look at the other how is the possible unexplainable? in mutation and genetics you would see the last years chick where the same or similar pattern is displayed and the grey one is two years this year, therefore the mother remained constant producing such juveniles therefor I asked would you need two of the same recessive edged birds to produce that or how does the recessive edge work? I have never had an opportunity to work with one.
How do I test breed the mother of these birds?
Many thanks
Ring0Neck

Post by Ring0Neck »

last years chick where the same or similar pattern is displayed and the grey one is two years this year, therefore the mother remained constant producing such juveniles therefor I asked would you need two of the same recessive edged birds to produce that or how does the recessive edge work?

If that is the case, that eliminates the posibility of her being rec edged, unless the male is from same bloodline being split to. did you use only 1 male with this hen? was it from same bloodline/breeder? if not
You might have something else there.
I have seen what the breeder called Spangle here in Au, on grey birds had a similar pattern, some breeders said that spangle would loose it's pattern after 2-3 years, no facts as i lost contact with this breeder.
I don't know the inheritance of spangle if rec. or dominant. it was about 7 years ago.
Have you had young other then grey with same markings?

Johan S

Post by Johan S »

Ring0Neck wrote:I don't know the inheritance of spangle if rec. or dominant.
I might be mistaken, but the spangle mutation in budgerigar is incomplete dominant, and SF spangle appears as edging/barring and a DF spangle is completely clear (DEC).