the 'saddleback' needs to be discussed here

Moderator: Mods

trabots

the 'saddleback' needs to be discussed here

Post by trabots »

Today I have asked Terry if I can rejoin his forum only as a lurker to see the images I am missing.

I am amazed that nobody has asked Chris to try and breed this possible new Parblue mutation on its own without 'harlequin' or Dom Pied etc. Same old business, trying to combine something new straight away with everything else without understanding it in the least. Plenty of references by Chris about 'DF' birds bred from 'harlequin' to 'saddleback' birds?? What are they DF in? Is there such a thing as a 'saddleback' which is not also a Dom Pied or 'harlequin'? Seems to me that a 'saddleback' Dom Pied bred to a straight Blue should hopefully separate the two so that we can see a 'saddleback' on its own without Pied. Chris seems to say that 'harlequin' and Dom Pied are not the same. What is the true story about 'harlequin'?
Johan S

Re: the 'saddleback' needs to be discussed here

Post by Johan S »

Hi Willy, are you looking for facts only or opinions also? I don't own these birds and have never seen a true 'saddleback', so I can only offer opinions, but don't want to spoil your topic with those if you are seeking clear cut evidence.
trabots

Post by trabots »

Johan I guess what you are saying and what I believe is that there are no real facts only opinions. My opinion is that even if this is something new, why spend so much time (and money) on a mutation which has so far, in the images provided, is so lacking in any real beauty over and above what it has been combined with. Now if it can be isolated it may in itself be attractive and at least some facts can be gleaned.
Johan S

Post by Johan S »

trabots wrote:Now if it can be isolated it may in itself be attractive and at least some facts can be gleaned.
And at that stage, Willy, I might become a believer that it is indeed something different and not just a combination of mutations.
madas

Post by madas »

molossus wrote:Until then most South Africans(myself included) are pairing opaline parblues to dom pieds to breed the saddleback. :mrgreen:
Any offspring so fare in S.A.???
Carr.birds

Post by Carr.birds »

Stefan, Lee, Johan and Willy

Can someone please post a picture of a turqblue spangle opaline budgie.

Tienie
trabots

Post by trabots »

Well it looks like we will have to discuss 'saddlebacks' and all other IRN mutations here because Terry has just closed his forum for good.
trabots

Post by trabots »

I also received in confidence an email from a breeder who already has bred a 'saddleback' in Blue without 'harlequin' or Dom Pied. From his description it has to be another Parblue as it still has a yellow back spot on a Blue bird. He claims the yellow has come through stronger after the second moult and the head is looking a bit green. I have advised him to keep it isolated, work on breeding a df and try to get it through a Green not split Blue. He seems knowledgeable and lurks on this forum. Hopefully he will speak out and end the speculation with some images.
Johan S

Post by Johan S »

It is really sad news to see the mailing list closed. There was a lot of good communication between members, if one could filter the slander. :(
trabots

Post by trabots »

trabots wrote:I also received in confidence an email from a breeder who already has bred a 'saddleback' in Blue without 'harlequin' or Dom Pied. From his description it has to be another Parblue as it still has a yellow back spot on a Blue bird. He claims the yellow has come through stronger after the second moult and the head is looking a bit green. I have advised him to keep it isolated, work on breeding a df and try to get it through a Green not split Blue. He seems knowledgeable and lurks on this forum. Hopefully he will speak out and end the speculation with some images.
I received images of this bird and unfortunately it is still Pied with almost clear flights and tails. Assuming 'saddleback' is the obvious Parblue in the bird ie: 'saddlebackBlue', the pairing was:

Blue x 'saddleback' Violet Dom Pied =

12.5% Blue
12.5% Violet Blue
12.5% Blue Dom Pied
12.5% Violet Blue Dom Pied
12.5% 'saddleback'
12.5% 'saddleback Violet
12.5% 'saddleback' Dom Pied
12.5% 'saddleback' Violet Dom Pied

He bred 2 Blues and 1 like the mother from what I can see so he needs to continue the pairing. If 'saddleback' without Dom Pied is never bred then 'saddleback' has to be a TurquoiseBlue modified Dom Pied.
trabots

Post by trabots »

molossus wrote:Willy that is my belief too. I also think that opaline will enhance the yellow over a wider area. I can only imagine a dfturq df dom pied in opaline. 8)
I wouldn't DF the Dom Pied as the bird would be almost devoid of any psitticins for the Opaline to act on. Black Eyed Clear
Johan S

Post by Johan S »

trabots wrote:
molossus wrote:Willy that is my belief too. I also think that opaline will enhance the yellow over a wider area. I can only imagine a dfturq df dom pied in opaline. 8)
I wouldn't DF the Dom Pied as the bird would be almost devoid of any psitticins for the Opaline to act on. Black Eyed Clear
Pied acts on melanin, so there would be plenty psittacin left for the opaline to work with in green and parblues. :)