The long awaited SA "deep" comparison

Moderator: Mods

Johan S

The long awaited SA "deep" comparison

Post by Johan S »

Hi all,

here are some pictures of the European imported line (by Mr Nico Theunissen) that has been known in SA by many names, including violet, Nico Theunissen violet, Belgium violet and most recently "deep". The birds appear very cobalt like in shade, but with some flavour of violet in full sunlight. The shiny/brilliant appearance of the rump is most notable on this mutation. This is a SF bird bred from a similar looking bird and a blue cleartail. I have promised the forum some time ago that I would compare with the Oz deep and Willy was kind enough to send me a SF deep blue sample of the main tail feather. That is the lightest tail feather in the photos, and also included is a cobalt tail feather from my own collection.

Full sunlight

Shade/dusk time (the deep and cobalt feathers are the two old feathers held over/above the bird)

The only double factor version of the bird I know of is a clearheaded fallow, which changes the base colouring too much to be of use for this discussion (sorry Willy!).

It was also brought to my attention to NOT compare old feathers with new ones (these birds have just passed moult). A very valid point! However, I have in my collection two feathers from a related bird that was plucked in November, so they are old and faded, but we see the same thing.

I have my thoughts, but I'd like to hear yours first. :D
Ring0Neck

Re: The long awaited SA "deep" comparison

Post by Ring0Neck »

Great job Johan !!!

My conclusion based on your pics:
OZ Deep is a different mutation to the other 2, feather/bird you have used in the pics.
In the sun - Yet again, we can notice the blueish-greenish tinge that we find in OZ Deeps.
Carr.birds

Post by Carr.birds »

Johan

As mentioned in one of my emails I own the original European “dark” green (SA “deep” green) imported hen. I will post pictures of her tail feathers, dark green and violet green for comparisons. Let them finish their moult. For good comparisons I believe all feathers must be of the same age and not some old and bleached by the sun.

Do you have pictures of the feathers taken in the shade?

Tienie
prodigy

Post by prodigy »

Hi Tienie,

The picture in the shade as requested the feather on the right is the deep sample sent from Willy.

The is from on of my green series birds in the same line.(once again the Deep sample is the one on the right)

Regards,

Peter
Johan S

Post by Johan S »

Carr.birds wrote:For good comparisons I believe all feathers must be of the same age and not some old and bleached by the sun.
Tienie, I agree. Here are two more feathers from my collection. The two in the white stickers labeled NRT are from the mother of the bird posted first and was plucked the week I received the deep blue feather from Willy. She is the hen that was "liberated". The deep blue feather lies on top. Both these samples have seen a full season of wear and tear. It still appears darker than the Oz deep to me.

Carr.birds

Post by Carr.birds »

Johan & Peter

Thanks for all the pictures.

From what I can see light to dark is blue, deep blue, NT blue, dark blue, violet blue and ............., but we know for a fact that NT blue birds are lighter and different to dblue and violet blue. Does this then point towards a different dark or violet factor?

Tienie
Johan S

Post by Johan S »

Tienie and Lee, you are right. The next questions are what does the DF look like and what is the relationship with cobalt and violet? And later deep once we can get those genes here or these genes there.

Tienie, the order is spot on. Blue, deep, NT blue, dark, violet ...

Lee, I believe the birds in the pictures are all SF birds. The bird in the first picture was bred from a blue cleartail cock. Also, if you look closely at Peter's last photo, you will see that is actually a green series bird. Phenotype is very similar to the dark green bird, with the main tail feather being slightly lighter than that of dark green and showing a very faint green wash. Those two characteristics are exactly why many of us were hoping it might be deep, because it is exactly what Willy reported on his findings. Clearly, these are darker than his bird with similar traits, but not the same thing.
trabots

Post by trabots »

All great stuff people. The images certainly show how they can vary in different light so it is imperative that they are all in the same image. What they also confirm is the importance of the DF birds as I think you will see the differences far more clearly and at the same time such differences will confirm (or not) the existence of further mutations. I do wonder however if the Green series birds will be as helpful as most still needing breeding to get them together in one image. Any unknowns (what is "NT BLue"?) need to be bred to plain Blues to undo any combinations that may be present.
Carr.birds

Post by Carr.birds »

Willy

NT blue is the SA "Deep" blue bird in question.

I hope the original imprted '00 "deep" green is split blue. Will be easier to compare in blue series as you mentioned due to availability of green series birds.

Tienie
Johan S

Post by Johan S »

Hi everyone,

I'm bumping this topic again, as to ensure that we don't cause too much confusion between the Oz deep and the SA "deep". A little bit of history, this mutation is not new, and has been known for a number of years locally as a type of violet. Ben, you might recall some of our very first conversations where I spoke about a "poor" violet which wasn't as pronounced as the american violet. In any case, this has to a large extend caused some damage to the reputation of this beautiful mutation, as people are expecting a purple phenotype which isn't forthcoming in SF birds. It took some time, but I think most of us here have moved on and accepted that this isn't a violet mutation (perhaps an allele, though?). Most have since moved on to the name 'deep' or SA 'deep', but I think we are repeating the mistakes of the past of calling it something that it very well might not be. Some will disagree, others might agree. I think we should give it a different/unique name until we know everything there is to know about it. Hopefully we will get it spot on the first time, but at least we will be avoiding any further confusion that might arise. Our approach might be similar to what we have for cobalt and mauve, which we all know as common names for SF/DF dark, i.e. perhaps we can consider first giving common names to SF and DF birds, and then later give a single name for the actual mutation.

Let's have a look at the tail feathers in Tienie's pic (green, dark green, "SA deep" green and violet green):

It should be clear that all four main tail feathers are distinctly different.

I have looked around a bit, and this is a very interesting link http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shades_of_blue. Of special importance is the table at the bottom of the page. In this page, the cobalt colour fairly well represents the main tail feather of a SF dark blue bird, so perhaps we can consider to name the SF 'deep' blues along a similar line. Considering the table and comparing the tail with the pic above, one notices more green in the tail than compared to cobalt (i.e. some psittacin is left), so in the table some candidates are Bondi blue, Cerulean and Teal.

If we consider the colour RGB composition:
Cobalt - (0, 71, 171)
Cerulean - (42, 82, 190)
Teal - (0, 128, 128)
Bondi - no info.

Personally, I don't like the addition of the red component (42) in Cerulean, but Teal can be interpreted as less blue than cobalt (128 down from 171), but more green (128 up from 71). It might not be exact, but is indicative of what we see in the pic as well. And to put things in perspective (and to show that RGB isn't the best colour space to be working with), the wildtype main tail feather is of the cyan colour family, with RGB of (0, 255, 255), i.e. we have reduced the green component by 50% going from cyan to teal (same goes for blue, which might cause confusion if we link it strictly to melanin, which we shouldn't).

Thoughts?
Ring0Neck

Post by Ring0Neck »

Johan,
You are thinking of the blue color seen in green series birds. OK.
However in blue series, those colors you've chosen (Bondi, Teal)would be more like an Emerald phenotype rather then sa deep !?
It makes sense for green series though.
In blue i would say Denim? of course, you guys know better as you have the birds there & Denim has less green, but
Denim is darker then Azure & Lighter then Cobalt
PS Cerulean looks good
just throwing in my opinion.

Johan S

Post by Johan S »

Ring0Neck wrote:Johan,
You are thinking of the blue color seen in green series birds. OK.
However in blue series, those colors you've chosen (Bondi, Teal)would be more like an Emerald phenotype rather then sa deep !?
It makes sense for green series though.
In blue i would say Denim? of course, you guys know better as you have the birds there & Denim has less green, but
Denim is darker then Azure & Lighter then Cobalt
PS Cerulean looks good
just throwing in my opinion.
Ben, my thoughts are actually for both series, but I have only looked at the main tail feather, not the body colour. Remarkably, they stay very similar in their properties for both the green series birds that Tienie showed, and the blue series birds that Peter and I photographed. In both cases, that greenish tinge is visible on the tip of the tail for this different mutation, which isn't visible in the dark series. On the photograph below, in the bottom right corner (the part in full sunlight, not in shade, below the turn in the feather), notice the tip is greener than the cobalt feather (tip on the right hand side above the hand) at the top crossing this bird. This is not just an artifact of the camera, one really sees this.

I share Willy's sentiment that the main tail feather will be best for ID'ing these mutations. If you look at the pic that Peter put through the filters, the main body colour gives little to no help towards ID'ing the birds. The tail feathers are a different matter.

It is really interesting, though, as my observations are mostly on what is expressed. Once the clever guys like Recio starts delving into the possibilities of psittacin production and whether that is being affected, or rather the feather structure, I'm going to be lost. :lol:

Also, this is just a proposal. Of course more thoughts are welcome. :D

In summary: The idea of "more green than in cobalt" applies in both green and blue series birds, and that is also how teal (and cerulean for that matter) are defined in the RGB space.

PS: Mutations are named according to their effect on the wildtype, not regarding their effect on the blue series (another mutation). We should keep that in mind as well. :wink:
trabots

Post by trabots »

Breed the DF 'SA Deep Blue' without delay. Don't do anything with the naming or SF comparisons until that is done. The 'Australian Cobalt' sufficed until the evidence of the DF Deep Blue confirmed that it wasn't a Cobalt and then the name I gave it was easily accepted. The same will happen with the 'SA Deep' hopefully sooner than later. Ironically in the chase for $ the DF is ignored yet in the end the credibility that the DF 'SA Deep Blue' will confer will result in many more $$. The uniqueness will be better shown in Blue series.
Carr.birds

Post by Carr.birds »

Willy

I agree that the df must be produced without delay, but what do we call (name) these bird until then. Johan’s idea to give it a different name could solve the problem, but I understand we should wait for the df bird. We are waiting for pictures from another local breeder who claims that he produced a darker bird from sf “SA Deep” to sf “SA Deep”.
To discuss the subject I suggest we use “SA Deep”, other options could be Nico Theunissen blue, Nico Theunissen violet, Nico Theunissen dark blue, Nico Theunissen deep blue or……………? We can also replace Nico Theunissen with NT. What do you and the Forum suggest?

Tienie
trabots

Post by trabots »

Tienie, I agree. I have no copyright on the name so leave it 'SA Deep' until we have DF confirmation. That was what I was getting at, 'Australian Cobalt' got rapidly dropped over here. Ironically now everyone with the real Cobalt advertises 'European' Cobalt for sale.
Carr.birds

Post by Carr.birds »

Willy, thanks. I will contact you by private email to disuss the way forward or we can discuss it in the redmine projects.

Tienie
prodigy

Post by prodigy »

Just to set the record straight the bird in the first picture that is claimed to be a SA Deep Blue is actually a Cobalt Deep Blue
Carr.birds

Post by Carr.birds »

Peter

That is exactly why I suggested we work with the original imported birds or ‘SA deep’ birds bred from 2002 to 2005. No one of us owning ‘SA deep’ birds older than 2005 know if dark or violet was added.

Tienie
Johan S

Post by Johan S »

prodigy wrote:Just to set the record straight the bird in the first picture that is claimed to be a SA Deep Blue is actually a Cobalt Deep Blue

Which of the patents carried the dark factor? I understood that it was bred from blue cleartail x NT blue / cleartail. What am I missing?
prodigy

Post by prodigy »

Incorrect

I would know as it is my bird and I own the father a well

1-0 Cobalt NT Deep WHWT X 0-1 NT Deep/WHWT (what was said to be a violet by a breeder form Lenasia that has subsequently quit breading, the same bird that was stolen from your fathers house if I am not mistaken)
Johan S

Post by Johan S »

Well, that's very interesting. Let's look at the facts evident in the tail feathers:

1) The NT green birds show a tail feather darker than the wildtype (confirmed from original imported hen)
2) The dark green birds show a tail feather darker than the wildtype (common knowledge)
3) The combination of NT and dark (in blue) shows a tail feather lighter than a cobalt?

So the sum of the parts is less than the parts themselves??? This leaves us to conclude that the NT factor will selectively, depending on the feather structure, either darken or lighten the main tail feather. I have no idea how that would happen, as no other structural mutation has behaved like this, but if that is true, that is amazing! :o
Ring0Neck

Post by Ring0Neck »

This leaves us to conclude that the NT factor will selectively, depending on the feather structure, either darken or lighten the main tail feather. I have no idea how that would happen, as no other structural mutation has behaved like this, but if that is true, that is amazing! :o

Hmmm, If it was true it would also be another way of identifying the combo..
Perhaps we should keep this thought in mind, and elaborate.

* We should not exclude yet the possibility (regardless of what we believe right now) the SA deep to be same as OZ Deep till we have conclusive evidence. If it was the same mutation... then some minor differences such as phenotypically different (SA being darker) could be for diff. reasons yet the same mutation. I suggest no need to rush but rather prepare breeding pairs that would conclude either way. All this should be tracked on the genetics site and if we colaborate it should be done and dusted after next breeding season.
To me, this would be the only way to put it down as fact and to call it a "case closed".

83IV