Friend needs help!!

Moderator: Mods

angeldc77

Friend needs help!!

Post by angeldc77 »

I have a friend who got a ringnek several months back from another friend of hers. She was told by this friend that the breeder that she got this ringneck from always rips out the tail feathers of his birds so he will not have to worry about them flying away. He also believed that it helped with breeding. Well my friend has had this bird for several months but the tail feathers have not grown back. There are shafts on the base of the rump that loo like blood feathers, but the bird picks at them. She wants to know if the reason for the feathers not growing back due to the shafts blocking new growth. If so should she pull them out so that it can start fresh? She sent me some pics so that I can post them with hopes of getting some help from you guys. What can she do to help this poor bird? :(

*****WARNING GRAPHIC IMAGES********

angeldc77

Re: Friend needs help!!

Post by angeldc77 »

She is experienced with birds, but has never had one with issues of this sort. I believe the rest of the body is in good shape, its just the tail. I must stress again, that this is not a bird she raised but one that she was given. She is just trying to get it back to normal if possible.
angeldc77

Re: Friend needs help!!

Post by angeldc77 »

Thanks!