Newcomer

Let us know a little about yourself! Tell us about your birds and why you are here.

Moderator: Mods

redgypsy

Newcomer

Post by redgypsy »

Hi everyone,

My name is Antonia, and I live in Perth, Australia.

Firstly and most importantly, HAPPY NEW YEAR!

Now, a little about me, I am a big lover of birdies. Particularly Indian Ringnecks and Cockatiels, but I'd love to one day have a huge aviary with all types of birds, even duckies, finches, and quail, and the list can go on.... :)

I have only recently fallen in love with IRNs after stumbling upon a particular character on YouTube. The most gorgeous and precious funny little thing going "Weee!" oh it drives me crazy! *ahem*.

I've just bought my first breeding pair which I will get in two weeks and hope they will produce some ugly-gorgeous babies for me.
I'm not a first time bird owner, I have owned two cockatiels in the past, though I'm not fully experienced either as I have only done a little bit of hand feeding.
The main reason for joining this forum is so that I can get an idea of how some owners like to hand-raise, and if they can offer some tips, tricks and advice. I've posted some questions about this on another thread in this forum, but I wasn't sure if I should put it on the introductory to myself. I'm not good with forums, eep.

Nice to meet you all :)
redgypsy

Re: Newcomer

Post by redgypsy »

I decided it might be best to copy my questions from the other thread into my introduction thread. Don't think it's a good idea to clog up someone else's post :P

Copied:
I have just purchased a breeding pair of Lutino IRNs with the hopes to hand-rear/raise one of their babies, and teach it speak and do tricks (I am so excited!).
I've never had a breeding pair of birds, although I did do some formula feeding with my cockatiel a few years ago, I got him from the birdie store and they recommended to keep hand feeding him for another week, so I am capable with that.

My question/concern lies more with chicks that are one day old.. how would I go about only wanting to hand rear one chick, and leave the parents to do their thing with the other babies?
Would I have to start feeding it from day one, or should I wait a few days so it can get the nutrition from the mama birdie and then start feeding? What if I wait a week or two before hand feeding? What would you guys recommend?
I'll also just mention that the parents are experienced and have already had 2 clutches with previous owners.

I feel a little bit cruel if I only take one, but the man at the birdie store recommended this. I can't seem to find any advice particular to my question, so I do apologise if this is in the wrong thread (also, I'm not that great with forums :lol: ).

Any advice or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you,
Antonia
redgypsy

Post by redgypsy »

Bumping... no one with any advice?
redgypsy

Post by redgypsy »

Looks like my post might have gotten lost in the thread.. I was hoping someone would have had some suggestions for me about raising a single baby.

We just got our aviary delivered, so we'll be getting our IRN's this weekend, and will be preparing things for them.. getting excited :)
subodhhire

Post by subodhhire »

Welcome to the forum Antonia, Also wish you and your loved ones a happy and prosperous new year.
I will try to answer your questions

I have just purchased a breeding pair of Lutino IRNs with the hopes to hand-rear/raise one of their babies, and teach it speak and do tricks (I am so excited!).

What are you planning to do with the parents and the remaining chick afterwards.

My question/concern lies more with chicks that are one day old.. how would I go about only wanting to hand rear one chick, and leave the parents to do their thing with the other babies?

Ideally you should remove both the chicks at the same time. With any luck you might get a second clutch also.

Would I have to start feeding it from day one, or should I wait a few days so it can get the nutrition from the mama birdie and then start feeding? What if I wait a week or two before hand feeding? What would you guys recommend?

Since you really want to hand raise the chicks or chick. 2 weeks with the parent is a must according to me. I think the chicks should at least open their eyes before you take them away from their parents.

I have tried to answer to the best of my knowledge. Cause i am also in the favour of hand raising as your bonding with the bird starts early and is very helpful.

But i would like to know one thing, why are you getting a breeding pair and going through all the exercise of breeding if you only want one chick to hand tame?
I think it would be easier to approach a regular breeder and buy a small chick which is just taken out from the nest. That will solve your purpose and you will not have to worry about anything else.

Subodh
MissK

Post by MissK »

Hi redgypsy,
While I, personally, cannot support your endeavor, it may be quite interesting for you to carry out.

-MissK
Last edited by MissK on Sat Apr 23, 2016 9:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
-MissK
subodhhire

Post by subodhhire »

Hi Miss K,
The behavior problem as well as other health related problems might arise if the chicks are seperated early from their parents, thats the reason i suggested 2 weeks. Hope i am right.

Subodh
MissK

Post by MissK »

Hi Subodh,

The man from Guatemala did not relate at what age they pulled the chicks.
Last edited by MissK on Sat Apr 23, 2016 9:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
-MissK
redgypsy

Post by redgypsy »

Hi subodhhire,

Thanks for your reply.

To address your concern, I will be keeping the parent IRN's even after they have produced babies.. I've bought an aviary for them as they are aviary raised, and I will be looking after them, and loving them.. from a distance lol.

I am actually looking to hand raise 2 babies, eventually.. however with full time work and stuff.. I won't be able to hand raise more than one at a time.
I've only just managed to get my boss allow me taking one baby in with me - he's ok with it as long as it's not too disrupting.. which if it does get too much, I won't be able to do it any more.. and I fear that 2 will be just too much and I don't want to ruin my chances to hand raise...
Anyway, once one baby is hand raised, I'll raise another one from another clutch.
This process was actually recommended to me by the Bird shop where I purchased the parents from.

..and the remaining babies I will look after as much as I can at home (but I'm certain I won't be able to "hand-raise" them), and sell back to the store when they are ready, or perhaps to individuals who want to hand raise, and are experienced. Would you recommend a 2 week period for this as well?

- Red
subodhhire

Post by subodhhire »

Hi Antonio,

My experience with breeding these birds is watching them breed in the wild. I have seen many of IRNs breed in the hollows of tree in rural as well as urban India. According to me 2 to 3 weeks time would be appropriate. cause that is when they start to show their heads out of the tree hollows. Rest i think you can decide on your own looking at the progress of the chicks and then decide.

You seem to be really eager to breed and hand feed a IRN. My best wishes to you and your birds as well.

Miss K,
Your theory is good but i am not sure whether it can be practically implemented. I am not a breeder myself, so only a breeder might be able to give a proper insight about that matter.

Subodh
redgypsy

Post by redgypsy »

Thanks for your input, Subodh. And thanks for your suggestions MissK, about preparing the other babies for future owners. I will look into everything I need to to make sure everything is smooth sailing :)

I absolutely love birds, even the ones I can't play with.. but I am very keen on hand raising a chick; I'd like to have a very strong bond with my birdies :)

Like I mentioned in my very first post.. I have done some hand feeding and such, but not from the very first day the chicks are born.. so I wasn't sure how long I need to wait before I can take them away from the parents.

I also wonder; at the beginning should I at all put the baby back in the aviary with the parents after feeding?
Or is that unnecessary? Because I know doing so will very likely erase anything the baby knows about being handled by a giant human lol.

- Red
MissK

Post by MissK »

Hi Red,

I hope the rest of what I had to say was helpful or, at the very least, interesting.

Best wishes,
-MissK
-MissK
subodhhire

Post by subodhhire »

Hi Antonia,

Once you remove the chick from the clutch don't put it back after feeding. Just maintain the temperature for the chick using artificial brooder or something and i hope you are aware that you have to feed the chick in the initial stage in every 3 hours. Here is a link with some info.

http://www.petalia.com.au/Templates/Sto ... ory_No=351

Subodh